This can be served with porridge, Nasi Lemak [coconut milk rice] or as a snack. My mum's way of preparing the awesome dish is by deep-frying the anchovies and peanuts.
300 gm anchovies [ikan bilis] - rinsed and drained in colander
300 gm peanuts with skin - rinsed and drained in colander
enough oil for deep-frying
1 tbsp chill paste
- Remove the bones and black part - wash several times till water is clear. Set aside on colander to drain off excess water.
- Put oil in wok, add in peanuts. Turn on heat to medium and start frying peanuts till golden. Remove on strainer to drain of excess oil. Off heat.
- Using the same oil [reduce the quantity]. Put in anchovies, turn on medium heat and start frying [like for peanuts] till golden and crispy. Remove on colander to drain off excess oil.
- Pour away the oil. Fry chilli paste on low heat till almost dry. Add in fried peanuts and anchovies and sugar. Quickly stir fry to mix all ingredients well. Off fire and dish out to cool before storing in airtight container.
- Peanuts and anchovies can be fried with cold oil.
- Use less oil to fry anchovies as the oil has to be discarded. Can fry in batches.