Tamarind flavor pork belly slices or better named as Assam Pork Belly. The taste is like Assam Prawns [Nyonya Assam Hae]. The thin slices of pork belly are fried till brown and some oil has oozes out, then stir fry with the tamarind sauce and seasoning makes this an appetizing dish with rice. The seasoning sauce is originally used for preparing Assam Prawns [recipe adapted from Pearly Kee’s Cookbook].
If you love Assam Prawns but allergic to seafood, you can perhaps tried it with pork belly or streaky pork belly. It should be awesome.
300 gm thin slices of pork belly or streaky pork – cut into 2-3 inch sections
Some sliced cucumbers
Some toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp tamarind [assam jawa]
120 ml water
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dark soy sauce
- Marinate pork slices with ½ tsp salt, dash of pepper for several hours.
- Soak tamarind in the water until it is thicky and creamy. Strain and add in the remaining seasoning [except sugar].
- Heat a non stick wok with some oil, arrange meat slices in a single layer, to pan fry until brown on both sides.
- Pour in the tamarind juice, make quick stir fry for a minute and simmer until water is slightly reduced before adding in the sugar,
- Fry until the mixture looks caramelized. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Dish out to serve with sliced cucumber.