- Mix brinjals with some salt, oil and cornstarch. Toss and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a non stick wok, add in brinjals and carrots. Spread out in a single layer if possible. Fry until slightly charred [about 2 minutes]. Push aside add in garlic to fry until aromatic.
- Stir in chillies and onions Continue to fry, then add in some light soy sauce for extra flavour and water. Toss well.
- Dish up to taste.
Monday, August 31, 2020
Friday, August 14, 2020
Can say it has been a long, long while I did not hand knead my bread dough from stretch, think ever since I was using the electric mixer. But now, I may have to knead with my hands as my electric mixer for 3 decades is 'out of order'.
Back to this recipe, is adapted from Che Nom Roti Benggali Recipe with some modifications. Of course, her bread looks good [soft and chewy]. Mine is not bad too but I need to practise my hand kneading to get to her standard if possible.
- Add yeast to lukewarm water in a cup, add in sugar. Stir well and leave for 2-3 minutes until frothy.
- Mix bread flour, wheat bran, sugar, salt in a mixing bowl. Add in yeast mixture and extra water gradually to knead into a soft dough.
- Remove from bowl and knead on a smooth table top for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in magarine and continue to knead until smooth, not sticky and pliable. Add in raisins, knead to incorporate into dough.
- Shape into a round ball, cover to proof for 20-30 minutes or double in size.
- Punch down dough to release trapped air, roll and shape into a Swiss roll dough.
- Place on a Pullman tin lined with parchment paper. Cover to proof until double in size [about 1 hour].
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from tin to cool on wire rack before slicing to serve.
Thursday, August 13, 2020
Many people will scrape away the purple skin of eggplant when frying as the bright purple colour will turned brown when one does not know how to prevent discolourisation. There is one simple way that can help to retain its vibrant purple colour. Try the method below [no boiling, steaming or deep-frying] and you will be happy to cook eggplants for your family for its benefits.
some chopped spring onions
- Cut eggplants, add some salt, cornstarch and oil [this will prevent oxidation that discolourised them]. Toss well and set aside.
- Combined sauce ingredients.
- Heat a non stick wok, add oil. Pan fry the eggplants  in a single layer until light brown and soft.
- Pour in the seasoning sauce. Stir fry to mix well until eggplants are cooked through.
- Add chopped spring onions. Stir and dish up to serve.
Wednesday, August 12, 2020
- Combined sugar with some water in a cup or bowl. Sprinkle in yeast and leave for 1 minute or so. Stir until dissolved. It should be smooth and silky.
- Gradually pour into flour, mix into a rough dough. Gradually add in remaining water and knead until dough is soft, smooth and pliable.
- Shape into a ball, dust with some flour to prevent sticking to hand. Place in the mixing bowl, cover to rest for 20 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough, then roll into round. Divide into 20 equal portions and roll into balls. Flatten each one in circle. Flatten the edges, place filling [about less than a tablespoon] in the centre, gather the edges together to seal to make a round pau or pleat the edges into a pau shape.
- Place on parchment paper and steaming tray. Proof for about 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Finish doing the rest. Place steaming tray over rapidly boiling. Cover to steam for 12 minutes. Off heat, leave in steamer and remove paus only after 2-3 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack or serve immediately.
Monday, August 10, 2020
- Steamed sliced pumpkin for 20 minutes over high heat or until soft. Mash into puree while still hot with 1 tbsp fine sugar [optional]. Leave to cool.
- Bring water to boil with ginger until aromatic. Add in sugar, continue to boil until sugar dissolves. Tastes to adjust bearing in mind that red dates will add sweetness to the syrup. Add in red dates, continue to boil until soft. Off heat, leave to cool completely. Tip: can prepare earlier before preparing the rice balls.
- In a big bowl, mix glutinous rice flour gradually to pumpkin puree then knead into a smooth pliable dough. Add some water gradually if dough is too dry. Leave to rest for 20-30 minutes before shaping into round balls.
- Bring a pot of water to rolling boil, drop in rice balls in batches. The rice balls will float to the surface when cooked. Remove with a serrated ladle and drop them into a bowl of cool water, then dish up using the serrated ladle.
- Add to prepare syrup.