This version of lemon chicken thighs is a simpler recipe. The deboned chicken thighs are not deep fried but pan fried. They are not coated with cornstarch and not that crispy. It is pan fried till golden brown on both sides and braised with some lemon slices. The other version is the chicken pieces are deep fried and served with an intense lemon flavour sauce which is usually sweet and sourish, not a healthy version.
For this recipe, lemon slices are used instead of lemon juice and it is not overly sourish or sweet but has a light fragrance of lemon. Simple and easy recipe, tasty lemon chicken.
3 deboned chicken thighs with skin, fats removed
1 lemon - cut into thin slices
2-3 slices ginger
2-3 pips garlic - crushed
some light soy sauce, wine, sesame seed oil, pepper and chicken stock granules
salt to taste
- Get butcher to debone the chicken thighs and make a few slits to spread out the meat. Rinse well, drained and marinate with marinade for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a non stick pan with a little oil, swirl around the pan and pour away excess oil. Pan fry chicken pieces [skin side first] to brown. Flip over to fry the meat side with the oil that oozes out when frying the skin side.
- Remove excess oil if any. Using the same pan, add in the ginger and garlic. Fry until aromatic.
- Add in 3-4 slices of lemon rings, pour in water enough to cover chicken pieces, add in seasoning. Bring to boil, taste to adjust seasoning. Cover to cook until sauce is reduced and chicken is cooked.
- Dish up to serve with sliced cucumbers.