It's year end, season for arrowheads [ngaku] and also time to enjoy them, fried, braised or steamed. I prepared this dish by braising all the ingredients together all in one pot. A very easy dish to prepare yet the result is awesome.
The spare ribs are savoury, while the arrowheads are sweet and crunchy. Perfect combination, tasty and fragrant dish that goes well with rice.
300 gm spare ribs - cut bite size pieces
3 bulbs arrowheads [ngaku] - peeled and cut bite size pieces
a few slices ginger
2-3 pips garlic
1 star anise
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp cooking wine
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce for colour [optional]
250 ml water
- Place all the ingredients [except water and sesame seed oil] in a heavy base pan.
- Bring ingredients to boil, stir to mix well for several minutes or until meat pieces are firm.
- Add water, bring to boil again, taste to adjust seasoning, then cover pan with lid.
- Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until pork pieces are tender and sauce thick. Stir in between cooking. Add more water if meat slices are not tender.
- Dish up to serve with rice.