Followers

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

PUMPKIN BARLEY DRINK

I had this drink [warm] at a Kopitiam somewhere near Jalan Ipoh during my recent trip to KL. It was so good that I fell in love with it. We asked whether they serve this drink daily but was told ‘It depends’. There is a brewed drink daily but they can’t  tell us what exactly and the schedule. Looks like we have to visit this Kopitiam every day which was what we did after our morning exercise at the Metropolitan park nearby. Too bad, we didn’t manage to have another mug of this drink before we left KL cos’ they prepared other drinks like sugar cane and various herbal teas etc during the next few days.
I had started looking for the recipe and saw one by HK Choo [Jottings of Life] which look quite similar but hers is like dessert. 
The first time I prepared this drink the consistency was not like the one I had in KL probably because I added too little pumpkin. This time I added more pumpkin puree and it is almost similar to what I had but less sweet.  Now, I’m happy to share the recipe here but you can reduce or add water depending on whether you like to serve it as a drink or thick dessert.   I add more water cos' I like it as a drink.
Ingredients
[serves 5-6]
500 gm pumpkin 
100 gm pearl barley - rinsed
2-3 blades pandan leaves [knotted]
1.2 litres water
150 gm sugar to taste [I used brown sugar]
  1. Steam pumpkin with skin till soft [about 40 minutes] and scrap out the flesh. Mash it into puree and set aside.
  2. Bring water to boil in a pot, add in barley and pandan leaves. Boil barley till soft, add in pumpkin puree and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  3. Add in sugar to taste.
  4. Serve warm or chilled.
     

I'm submitting this post to the Best Recipes for Everyone
July 2015 Event : I have a date with "Pumpkin"
organized by Fion of XuanHom's Mom 
and co-hosted by Rachel

9 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, first time I see pumpkin in a drink. Must be very nice with the barley. Good thing you found a similar recipe since you got the chance to have it only once in KL.

rachel said...

This look Yummy drink ,
i think i must try later,
thanks for sharing :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I'm not too sure if this is the exact recipe but it is very close except that mine is not as sweet as that from the Kopitiam.

Kimmy said...

Hi Rachel, do give this a try. I like it very much.

Unknown said...

Hi kimmy jus saw on fb post abt this drink n yes reminded me of the one u had in jalan ipoh... if im right the kopitiam is a chu char kopitiam tat serve as a daily drink n yes is very yummy.... my friend shop actually.... after seein in fb i come to search online n see ur post.... tq... i wil try soon...

Kimmy said...

Hi Hazel, thanks for the info. Now I remembered it is at Taman Mastiara, Off Jalan Ipoh, KL. It is not available daily. The Kopitiam is along the road from the metropolitan park, on the right hand side just before the flyover. I have tried this drink at other places in KL but they aren't as concentrated. Do try and you many like it.

Liyana リヤナ said...

Hi Kimmy. I recently tried this drink during my lunch break. It was so delicious! Not too sweet and not too bland. And I like the taste of the pumpkin in barley! And I like your variation too. I'm going to give it a try. Hope it works!

Kimmy said...

Hi Liyana, great that you tried this drink. Lovely be it a dessert or drink. Very healthy too. You should try preparing it at home.

Liyana リヤナ said...

Thanks for replying!
I'm actually making it right now! Haha. I'm following you recipe by the way. Looks good rn. I can't wait for it to be done! Thanks for the recipe!