Followers

Thursday, July 23, 2015

TEA LEAF GLUTINOUS RICE DUMPLINGS


The original recipe for these rice dumplings from Amy Beh is a vegetarian rice dumpling recipe. Here, I replaced the vegetarian filling with non-vegetarian filling that is using pork belly and dried prawns. However, I followed the recipe for the rice portion whereby tea leaves are added to the rice.
My kitchen was filled with a very fragrant aroma while the dumplings are cooking.
These were made for my nephew who is working in Singapore and was back during the Raya holidays.  He missed home-made Changs during Duan Wu Jie. 
Recipe adapted from Amy Beh’s book At Home With Amy Beh 2 with modifications
Ingredients For Rice
[makes 20 dumplings]
900 gm glutinous rice flour – washed, soaked overnight and drained
50 gm dried prawns – rinsed and drained
50 gm shallots – thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic – chopped
3 tbsp [15 gm] Siu Xian tea leaves – soaked in 125 ml hot water for 10 minutes. Strain, keep the tea leaves and discard the tea
Small pieces pandan leaves [about 2 cm] – I omit
40 rice dumpling leaves - soaked and cleaned [with hemp strings]
2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
Seasoning 
1 tbsp each of salt and sugar to taste
2 tbsp 5 spice powder
½ tsp msg
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp light soy sauce
  1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan, fry shallots and garlic until golden brown. Dish out.
  2. Fry tea leaves with remaining oil until fragrant and crispy, add in the dried prawns. Stir fry to mix well. Add in the rice and seasoning, then add in fried shallots and garlic. Stir and toss to mix well. Dish up and set aside.
     
Ingredients for Filling
500-600 gm pork belly – cut into bite size pieces [about 20 to 22 pieces]
10 dried mushrooms – soaked and cut halve
20-22 chestnuts – soaked with a drop of alkaline water and water for about 30 minutes, rinsed and boil in water until soft
5 salted egg yolks – steamed for 10 minutes and quartered
50 gm shallots – thinly sliced
3-4 tbsp oil
Seasoning
1 tbsp sugar
½ tbsp 5 spice powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp msg
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
  1. Marinate pork belly with seasoning for 30 minutes or overnight.
  2. Heat oil, sauté shallots until golden brown. Add in marinated pork belly. Fry until fragrant and firm.
  3. Add in the mushrooms and chestnuts. Continue to fry until seasoning is well absorbed by the ingredients.
  4. Dish up and set aside.
To Wrap The Rice Dumplings

  1. To wrap dumplings, take 2 pieces of bamboo leaves and fold into a cone.  
  2. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of rice, add a slice of pork, a piece of mushroom,  a chestnut, a piece of salted egg yolk, top up with 1-2 tablespoon of rice.
  3. Wrap into a pyramid shape dumpling and secure tightly with a hemp string.  Do the same until all the ingredients are finished.
  4. Put the bundles of rice dumplings in a big pot.  Top up with water enough to cover the changs.  Add a tablespoon of salt and sugar to the water.
  5. Bring to boil over high heat, then lower to medium and continue to cook for 2 hours or until rice dumplings are cooked.  Replenish with more hot water to the pot when required.
  6. Remove and hang to let them dry.  Best to serve rice dumplings warm.
Little Thumbs Up

I'm sharing this with Little Thumbs Up Event [July 2015 - TEA] organised by Doreen from My Little Favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids
 hosted by Cheryl of Baking Taitai
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #25 [July 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

10 comments:

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

Homemade bak zhang are the best! How I wish I can have one too, looks delicious!

PH said...

Kimmy, your nephew is so lucky! How I wish that I have the motivation to make chang or better still if I live next door to you hee..hee...

Baking Taitai said...

With tea leaves added to the rice dumpling must be really fragrant, wish I could eat one off the screen! Lol!

Carole said...

Kimmy, I would love you to stop by Food on Friday: Rice & Grains over at Carole's Chatter to add this to the recipe collection! Cheers!

PS do you want to keep getting email reminders or would you prefer to put a reminder each week in your own calendar - drop me a line to let me know.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jasline, it's true, homemade bak changs are best even though it isn't well wrapped. I don't buy bak changs from the stalls mainly because of the pork used in it. I'm quite particular in this aspect.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, what to do, I 'sayang' him very much since I got married to his uncle. He was only 6 then. Happy that he like it very much and brought the balance back to S'pore. BTW, I don't mind sharing some with you if you're nearby.

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, it was very fragrant and aromatic while the changs are cooking. The aroma is not that strong when eaten.

Kimmy said...

Hi Carole, you can remind me anyway. I didn't participate in Food on Friday recently cos' I was really, really very busy. Hope I can share as many as possible if I can.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

Your homemade chang is so priceless!!! Your nephew must be very happy eating these extra fragrant bak chang.

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, yes my nephew is very lucky and happy. He told me it is good and all in all he had 9 of these changs. They smells good from a far, hehehe!