- Butter Cake – classic butter cake love for its simplicity of taste, texture and even its plain golden look
- Chocolate Cake – cake is soft and moist rich with chocolaty taste
- Marble Cake – this is a combination of plain butter and chocolate cake, mixed to form swirls. The art of mixing the 2 types of batters is a tricky one and when not done right can result in large areas of plain cake and chocolate cake instead of graceful swirls. However, each is unique on its own.
The whole portion can be baked in an 8 inch round pan or 9 inch square pan but here I baked the 3 different cakes using the foil ware pans [size 14cm x 10cm x 5cm]. All the 3 types turned out well. The cakes are soft, moist, buttery and with fine texture. Each cake weighs 300 gm.
Recipe by Audry Nathaniel adapted from Home Cooking Magazine October 2004 Issue [modified]
250 gm butter – room temperature
200 gm castor sugar [can reduced to 180 gm]
250 gm self raising flour or 250 gm cake flour mixed with 1 tsp baking powder – sifted
1 tsp vanilla essence + 2 tbsp milk [for plain portion]
- Beat butter lightly and add in sugar a little at a time [in batches] until creamy and light.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating continuously until well mixed.
- Sift in sifted flours in batches and fold with a spatula until well combined.
- Divide batter into 2 equal portions [about 450 gm per portion]. Stir in vanilla essence to one portion and cocoa mixture to the other portion. Mix well.
- Scoop about 300 gm of plain batter into a foil ware pan, smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Scoop about 300 gm of cocoa batter into another foil pan, smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Scoop the balance plain and cocoa batters alternately into another foil pan. Use a skewer to draw lines on the batter to create a swirl design.
- Bake all 3 batters in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 40-45 minutes on middle rack or until cakes are done.
- Remove to cool on wire rack. Slice to serve [the cake dislodge easily from the foil pan].
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #25 [July 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
TO ALL MUSLIM READERS AND VISITORS OF THIS BLOG
BEST WISHES TO ALL
SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDIL FITRI