This BBQ sauce is suitable for any fried fish, chicken or meat. Adding some thinly sliced onions, carrots and cabbage is a good combination of proteins and fibre.
The sauce is savoury sweet and tasty spread over steaming hot rice. Simple yet delicious.
The original recipe uses whole Garoupa fish [about 800 gm] and deep frying it. I just pan fried the fish slices.
Recipe adapted from Yum Yum Magazine No. 60 [slightly modified]
3 pieces Spanish Mackerel blocks
1 big onion – peeled and thinly shredded
1 small carrot – peeled and shredded
2 tbsp shredded ginger
BBQ Sauce [combine]
3 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp Worchester sauce
1 tbsp each chilli sauce, HP Sauce and sugar
150 -200 ml water
- Soak shredded onions and carrots in ice cold water for 1-2 minutes. Drain in a colander. Place them on serving platter.
- Pan fry fish slices until golden brown and cooked through. Dish up and place over shredded ingredients.
- Remove excess oil from pan. Using the same pan, sauté ginger for several seconds or until aromatic.
- Pour in the BBQ sauce, bring to a rolling boil for a while, stirring until sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce over fried fish, top with some onions and carrots.
- Serve immediately.
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #25 [July 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours