This fish is different from the grouper. The flesh is not as sweet but texture is softer. I used herbal stock with some shredded meat to steam it to enhance the flavour.
1 fresh fish - cleaned and make a slit on the thick part for both sides
30-50 gm meat - cut thin strips and marinate with soy sauce, pepper, sesame oil and cornflour
some shredded ginger
a tbsp of wolfberries [kei chi]
Herbal Stock - rinse herbs and boil for 5-10 minutes or until fragrant
3-4 slices of dong quai
a few pieces of chuen qiong
a few pieces of tong sum
a few pieces of licorice [kam cho]
100 ml water [maybe less for stronger flavour]
1 tsp each of light soy sauce and oyster sauce
some sugar and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Boil herbal stock until fragrant and set aside to cool.
- Clean fish and place in a steaming dish.
- Before steaming, add kei chi to herbal stock then pour over fish. Spread marinated meat all over fish.
- Bring water to boil then steam fish over high heat for 12-15 minutes [depending on the size of fish].
- Garnish with coriander and serve immediately.