A tasty and delicious chicken dish that is so easy to prepare. No frying is needed and is quite fast to cook. This dish can also be cooked earlier and leave to rest for the chicken and eggs to be infused with the flavours of the braising sauce.
The sauce is good spread over rice. This dish is good for Bento set with some salads or stir fried vegetables. My hubby says the taste is good. Just nice.
Recipe adapted from Min's Blog with slight modifications
3 chicken whole leg with skin
3 hard boiled eggs
2 slices of ginger
2 cloves garlic
½ red chilli
5 tbsp black vinegar
3 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 1/2 tbsp rock sugar [I used brown sugar]
1 star anise
- Blanch chicken whole legs in boiling water and allow to steep for about 5 minutes. Remove chicken.
- In a shallow and wide base pot, add in ginger, garlic, chilli and the remaining ingredients and seasoning. Make sure the braising sauce covers the chicken pieces.
- Cover the ingredients with a piece of aluminum foil [this helps to maintain the aroma of the dish]. Cover pot and bring the braising sauce to boil over medium high heat, then reduce to low heat.
- Continue to cook for a further 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, remove the chicken pieces and eggs onto serving platter. Lightly thicken the gravy with some cornstarch water [optional]. Scoop gravy over chicken and eggs to serve.