Followers

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

EZCR#16 - STIR FRIED CHICKEN WITH DRIED CHILLIES [‘KUNG PAO’ CHICKEN]

I was browsing through my stack of food magazines that I  have collected many, many years ago. There are numerous recipes that I wish to try from baking to cooking. One of the recipes which I picked is this very easy version of ‘Kung Pao’ chicken that is different from my usual recipe [kung pao fish fillet].
This recipe is really easy and GOOD just using sweet plum sauce. The dish is spicy with just the right balance of sweet and savoury. An impeccable combination served with steaming hot rice. Add just a little water if you like it with some gravy.
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking Magazine [March 2002]
Ingredients
[serves 2-3]
300 gm chicken thighs – deboned and cut into bite size pieces
1 big onion – cut wedges
1 tomato – cut wedges [optional]
8 dried chillies – soaked and cut into thirds
4-5 slices of ginger
3 cloves garlic – sliced
2-3 tbsp oil
1 stalk spring onions – cut into 3 cm lengths
Seasoning
2 tbsp sweet plum sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce



  1. Marinate chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, dash of pepper and 2 teaspoon cornflour. Set aside for 15 minutes or longer.
  2. Heat oil in a non-stick wok, pan fry chicken pieces until brown on both sides or cooked for about 8-10 minutes. Dish up.
  3. Using the same wok, sauté dried chillies, ginger and garlic until aromatic. Add in the onions, chicken and seasoning. Stir fry to mix well. Sprinkle some water if preferred [I have added more, my family's preference].
  4. Lastly add in the spring onions. Dish up to serve immediately.
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #25 [July 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

Notes:  Attached photo of plum sauce used for this dish.

9 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this is one of my favorite dishes when I dine out. It's quite easy to prepare it at home. For this, I usually like a bit more sauce since it goes well with rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, for more sauce you have to increase the quantity. I have cooked with blanched squids [quite tasteless] this way. My hubby doesn't like it. He prefers the onions, tomatoes and sauce.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy.
Looks delicious! My family would definitely go for more sauce. Thanks for sharing with CYB!

holy Food said...

Very informative article... Thanks for sharing

Chloe said...

Hi Kimmie. Just wondering what is this sweet plum sauce you are using? Could you please post the jar or container and brand? Thanks for another delicious home cooked recipie from you. Chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, sure will do when I'm back home by Monday. Sweet plum sauce is available at most grocery stalls and supermarkets. There are various brands from various manufacturers. Some are very sweet and sourish while other may not be. It can be mix with chilli sauce and ground peanuts, toasted sesame seeds as salad dressing.

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, I have posted a photo on the plum sauce which I used for this dish. This is from Penang but you can use any brands.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmie. Thanks so much. I have shuin mui cheong. The type of sauce for cny yee sang. Is this the sauce??. Chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, yes, it is shuin mui cheong. Any brand is okay but some are very sweet and salty too. Just adjust the quantity according to the one your are using basing on its tastes.