A nice chicken salad that is easy to prepare. The main ingredient here is chicken meat. Zucchini/carrot are added for a crunchy texture and colour. Mixed with the fragrant ginger/onion dressing, the salad is aromatic. If you like it spicy, replace the oil with Szechuan Chilli Oil. This dressing is quite similar to ginger/spring onion coulis.
This salad is good for hot and humid weather. It is an appetizing cold dish and the flavour is rather mild [use more ginger/onion dressing for more intense flavour].
50 gm ginger
2 stalks spring onions
½ tsp salt or more to taste
1 tbsp spring onion oil* [can replace by Szechuan Chilli Oil]
*Obtained by frying some cut spring onions with oil until lightly charred. Discard the spring onions and set aside oil.
1 chicken whole leg
½ small carrot – peeled and shredded
½ small zucchini – peeled and shredded
- Blend ginger and spring onions in a blender, add in salt to taste. Mix in the oil, set aside.
- Blanched chicken in boiling water for 5 minutes, off heat and steep for 30 minutes. Remove, cool and shredded.
- Beat egg and fry into a thin omelette . Cut thin strips.
- In a mixing bowl, mix chicken, omelette, carrots and zucchini. Toss well with the dressing.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately or chilled.