Followers

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

FRIED TEA-FLAVOURED RICE

Had fried this kind of fried rice several times.  It is simply fragrant and a delicious fried rice. The addition of sesame oil in frying the rice is a good idea as it does have a good effect on the overall taste of this fried rice.

Recipe Source – adapted from At Home With Amy Beh 3 [modified]
Ingredients
[serves 2]
3 bowls of cooked rice [preferably a day old or overnight rice]
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
1 Chinese sausage [lap cheong] – peeled and cut cubes
50 gm shelled prawns
2 eggs 
2 tsp Ti Kuan Yin tea leaves
some sliced sweet peas [optional]
Seasoning
2 tbsp oyster sauce
½ tsp pepper
¼ tsp salt

  1. Steep tea leaves with some hot water and set aside for several minutes. Drain and keep the tea leaves for frying. 
  2. Heat oil in wok, fry tea leaves until crispy. Dish up and set aside. 
  3. Using the same wok, fry Chinese sausage until aromatic, dish up. Remove excess oil. 
  4. Break eggs into wok, lightly break up the eggs and cook until just cooked. Dish up. 
  5. Fry prawns with the oil until firm. Add in rice and seasoning, stir fry over low heat to mix well. I add some cut sweet peas. 
  6. Add in fried lap cheong and eggs. Toss well to mix. Fry rice over high heat until rice is light. 
  7. Add in the tea leaves, mix well. Dish up to serve. Garnish with spring onions. 

Little Thumbs Up

I'm sharing this with Little Thumbs Up Event [July 2015 - TEA] organised by Doreen from My Little Favourite DIY and Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids
hosted by Cheryl of Baking Taitai
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg
I'm submitting this post to Cook Your Books Event #25 [July 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

16 comments:

PH said...

Hi Kimmy! It was only this morning that I was thinking of this recipe. I bookmarked it but could not remember which Amy Beh cookbook it was hah..hah... It's good that you have tried it and I must say that your Fried Tea-Flavoured Rice looks like something that is served in a restaurant!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, if you love fried rice, you must give this a try. I like the addition of sesame oil in it, gives a very nice aroma and the fried tea leaves are crispy but not bitter.

Joceline Lor said...

So special! Thanks for your best recipes.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Kimmy,
So special ... I've not tasted fried rice with tea leaves. Looks yummy !

QembarDelites said...

Hi Kimmy, I am not a fan of rice but looking at your fried rice makes me drool especially with the yummy prawns on it! Interesting to see tea leaves in the rice. Do you eat it or pick it out? :D

Kimmy said...

Hi Joceline, you're welcome. I love to try new dishes especially the ones with less ingredients that are easily available yet delicious. I need to try various types of fried rice, too cos' there is a young girl in the house who just love eating fried rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, the tea leaves are quite tasteless. It is the sesame oil in the rice that makes this fried rice special, that's what I think. I drank the tea and use the leaves to fry rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, the leaves can be eaten. Blend well with the other ingredients. Fully agree with you the prawns are good especially fresh ones, tasty.

Baking Taitai said...

Hi Kimmy, interesting to add tea leaves to fried rice! Now I know, when I make chinese tea, I don't have to discard the leaves after brewing, just use it to fry rice. Thanks for sharing this!

Kimmy said...

Hi Cheryl, yes that's good idea. Actually tea leaves can be used in cooking several dishes even in making rice dumplings. I have tried it in the past before I started this blog. Maybe, I have to prepare it again.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
A delicious plate of fried rice! I have seen recipes using tea in fried rice, but have never tried it before! It looks delicious!

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I like your idea of adding tea into fried rice... like adding extra fragrance into your fried rice. Nice!!!

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I was surprised that this fried rice turned out delicious. The tea leaves are crispy and blends well with the soft rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, the tea aroma is not intense but the tea leaves mix with rice sound special, lol.

mui mui said...

Kimmy,
I love the look of your delicious plate of tea fried rice.
It is very special indeed~
mui

Kimmy said...

Hi Mui, I was quite surprised that this fried rice tasted so good and aromatic. All can be eaten including the tea leaves, hehehe!