A simple noodle that can be prepared ahead without stir frying yet it can be served hot or warm during meal time. Original recipe uses meat but I used prawns. The beehoon tasted good even without the meat. Initially, I wasn't thinking of posting this recipe cos' it's nothing special about it, that's the reason why I didn't have any step by step photos taken. But after eating it, I think it is much, much better than the economy fried beehoon...
200 gm fine beehoon [rice vermicelli]
100 gm lean pork - cut thin strips [I used 50 gm prawns]
1 squid - cleaned and cut thin strips [I omit]
100 gm beansprouts - tailed and washed
some spring onions - cut strips or chopped [I used chopped coriander leaves]
1 red chilli - cut strips or chopped [I used sambal belacan]
Seasoning - combine together
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chicken stock granules
a dash of pepper
- Marinate meat and squid with 1/4 portion of seasoning [if using, not necessary with prawns].
- Boil a pot of water to blanch beehoon. Drain dry on a colander. Use the same water to blanch beansprouts for a few seconds. Drain on colander.
- Use marinade to mix with blanched beehoon and beansprouts. Stir to mix well.
- Put beehoon and beansprouts in a steaming dish, top up with marinated meat and squid.
- Steam over high heat for 8-10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle extra sesame oil before serving.