Black grapes were sold rather cheap at the supermarket over the weekend. Haven't make jam with black currants and thought should make it now cos' the grapes were very sweet and they were seedless too.
The jam turns out well and since the grapes were very sweet, I used very much less sugar than for my Red Plum Jam [see post].
[makes 1 bottle x 450 gm]
600 gm seedless black grapes - washed and drained in a colander, cut into small pieces
200 gm sugar [more if the grapes are not too sweet]
2 tbsp lemon juice [use 1 tbsp if grapes are sourish]
- Place a saucer in the freezer [for testing if jam is ready].
- Mix sugar with cut fruits until sugar melts.
- Place mixture in a heavy base pot or non-stick pan. Add in lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil then simmer until jam gels up [stir the jam occasionally throughout the cooking]. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Spoon a little of jam onto cooled saucer. Return to freezer for about 3-5 minutes. If the jam wrinkles up when push with a finger, the jam is ready.
- Store jam in sterilised glass container. Refrigerate jam.