Followers

Monday, June 29, 2015

NYONYA SAMBAL UDANG [PRAWN SAMBAL]

Sambal Udang is one of my favourite curry but not so much with my hubby. He avoids eating prawns. No idea what’s the reason and because of this, I had to cook only a small portion [1/2 portion].
This is a very tasty, aromatic prawn sambal.  The curry is thick, just a little sourish, not really sweet and the spiciness is acceptable. Overall, I opined that it’s nice. It’s good serve with steaming hot rice and better still I would love it with coconut milk rice [Nasi Lemak] and sliced cucumber. 

Recipe Source – adapted from Nyonya Flavours
Ingredients
500 gm medium size prawns – shelled 
5-6 tbsp oil
10 gm tamarind pulp mixed with 250 ml water
1/4 tsp salt to taste
2-3 tbsp sugar to taste
Ingredients for Spice Paste [Blended together]
15 gm [10] dried chillies – soaked
100 gm [10] shallots
10 gm [2 cloves] garlic
1 stalk lemongrass – sliced
40 gm toasted belacan
  1. Prepare spice paste by blending all the ingredients in a processor until fine.
  2. Heat oil in wok, sauté spice paste with salt and sugar until fragrant and oil separates over medium low heat.
  3. Strain tamarind juice and discard the pulp. Pour into wok and stir to mix well.
  4. Bring to boil for a minute, then add in the prawns to cook.
  5. Bring to a boil until the prawns are cooked.
  6. Dish up and serve with rice.
I'm sharing this post with Cook Your Books Event #24 [June 2015] hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

17 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, though I am not much of a prawn fan, but cooked in sambal like this I will want to eat! Very good with white rice or nasi lemak as you suggested. Yum! Yum!

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
Although I don't really fancy belacan, I reckon that this Sambal Udang must be very delicious. .. cos I like prawns ... hee ..hee !

ann low said...

I love this prawn and this prawn dish will definitely makes me to ask for extra rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, this curry is certainly yum yum with rice or nasi lemak. The flavour is so good that I'm convinced home prepared paste does make a difference than store bought or ready-mix types.

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, I supposed it is alright to omit the belacan or maybe substitute it with vegetarian belacan which is made from mushrooms. The thick gravy is awesome spread over rice.

Kimmy said...

Hi Ann, I did regret not cooking more rice when I prepared this Sambal Udang. Serve with rice and cucumbers, the combination is simple yet satisfying.

Madeline said...

Hi Kimmy, this dish looks very yummy. I just tried out yr recipe. If u don't mind me giving feedback. I find it a bit salty. I find the amount of belachan.a bit too much n the tamarind paste is too little. Is the proportion for these two ingredients correct? Appreciate yr advice :) thank you for sharing.

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, the belacan amount is correct according to the recipe but it can be reduced. Some belacan are rather salty varies with the brand use. It is this factor that probably affects the amount of salt needed in this dish. The tamarind pulp is just a little and I used the seedless type. Personally, I find Nyonya dishes strong in taste and flavours.

Kimmy said...

Hi Madeline, I checked back the original recipe, the salt quantity is 1/4 tsp. Sorry for the error, but I suggest to add just a little for taste depending on the saltiness of the belacan. Overall, I find this sambal udang much better cos' of its' flavour and it isn't that sweet or too sourish.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
We love sambal prawns! We love prawns!
If I cooked dishes like this, I will surely a little extra rice!
Looks delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, sometimes I can miss this type of dishes. I can cook it often with ready-mix paste from the wet market but it is different with home-made paste, hehehe!.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy,
Did you add tumeric in this recipe as I see that in your photos the prawns look a bit yellowish?

Kimmy said...

Hi Anonymous, usually Sambal Udang has tumeric and I will use tumeric powder instead of blending fresh tumeric. For this recipe, there is no tumeric but you can add some if you like a brighter colour sambal.

Unknown said...

I m not a prawn lover,but a friend wants me to cook prawns so will be trying your receipt,hope she will like it.Thanks.

Kimmy said...

Hi, my hubby does not fancy prawns but I love prawns. This is a lovely prawn curry, sourish, spicy and not too sweet. Great with rice and perhaps sliced cucumbers. Not to oily like those served at food outlets. I hope you friend like it.

Unknown said...

Nice n delicious dish , I need extra rice. Yummy. Thanks

Kimmy said...

Hi, this is a homey dish which I get to eat regularly before I got married. My hubby doesn't eat much of prawns so I couldn't cook this as often. Goes well with plain white rice, nasi lemak, all the nasi, nasi with cucumbers etc. Yummy, yummy..