This is a confinement dish and also a common dish that we use to cook at home cos’ it is so easy to prepare with only a few ingredients. The meatballs and gravy are very tasty and aromatic, goes well with rice or porridge. Sometimes, we would add in blanched pig liver and kidneys. If you don't like innards, then adding fried eggs is a good option too.
The original recipe from the book Nyonya Flavours uses chicken [see my earlier post] which I replaced with minced pork.
Recipe Source – Nyonya Flavours [modified]
300 gm minced meat with some fats – shape into meatballs
50 gm ginger – shredded
20 gm [2 cloves] garlic – chopped
1-2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp soy bean paste – chopped or use fine type
½ tsp salt to taste
¼ tsp dark soy sauce for colour
1 tbsp shaoxing wine or more to taste
½ cup water or more
- Heat oil in wok, sauté ginger and garlic until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add in the soy bean paste. Stir to mix well.
- Put in the meatballs one at a time.
- Add in water, dark soy sauce and wine. Bring to boil.
- Add in salt to taste. Add more water if needed.
- Lower heat and simmer until meatballs are cooked and gravy is reduced slightly.
- Dish up to serve.