This cake was inspired by a chiffon cake recipe shared by Vivian [here] using rice flour. Since there are some lemon in the fridge, I baked this cake with lemon instead of the original recipe which uses orange.The cake turns out lovely - soft and spongy and the tangy lemon flavour is irresistible. For the uses and benefits of lemon, please visit this blog Life Can Be Simple where Grace has provide the details for the Little Thumbs Up February 2014 Event on Lemon.
Looks good as a giveaway gift for my cousin sister in-law Doreen who gives my family 'free' haircuts. Thanks to dear Doreen.
Ingredients For Egg Yolk Mixture
5 egg yolks [I used size A eggs]
15 gm castor sugar [I used 1 tbsp]
40 ml corn oil
15 ml lemon juice and zest
45 ml milk
60 gm cake flour [I used superfine flour]
30 gm rice flour
1/4 tsp salt
Ingredients For Egg White Mixture
5 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar [optional]
45 gm castor sugar [I used 3 tbsp]
- Sieve both flours together and mix in the salt.
- Separate egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until creamy, drizzle in oil and lemon juice/zest. Beating mixture as you drizzle in the oil and milk juice until well blended.
- Fold in sifted flours and mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven at 160 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add in the cream of tartar [if using]. Continue whisking and add in sugar in 3 batches. Whisk until soft to stiff peaks.
- Fold lightly 1/3 portion of the egg white into the egg yolk mixture until well combined. Then mix with the remaining egg white. Fold until well combined.
- Pour batter into a 19-20 cm [7 inch] tube pan. Shake a little to smooth out the batter and tap pan a few times on table top to release trapped air.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and invert immediately to cool cake before slicing.
- Use a slim spatula to run around the edge of the pan and around the tube to dislodge cake before slicing cake.
I'm sharing this post with Little Thumbs Up February 2014 Event - Lemon hosted by Grace Phua of Life Can Be Simple