This is quite similar to the Taiwanese steamed savoury glutinous rice in individual stainless steel tall cans [ a hawker's delicacy of Central Taiwan]. With this idea, I cooked this steamed rice but using short grain rice [this rice is used for cooking sushi rice]. I like to use this rice instead of glutinous rice as it is not that sticky or chewy and we can have it as a One dish meal .
The rice tasted good and fragrant quite similar to 'Chu Bee P'ng'. I served it with some pickled zuchini and a Miso soup with some sweet leaves [so that there are enough vege for a meal].
[serves 3 - steamed in 3 individual aluminium cans]
200 gm short grain rice - washed and drained
6 [50 gm] shallots - sliced
3 [50 gm] dried mushrooms - soaked and cut strips
2 tbsp dried prawns - rinsed
200 gm shredded meat with some fats - marinate with soy sauce, pepper, sesame oil and cornflour
300 ml water
enough oil to fry shallotsSeasoning to taste
2-3 tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp msg
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
- Heat oil in pan to fry shallots until golden. Dish out. Remove excess oil, leaving 1-2 tbsp to fry mushrooms and dried prawns. Fry until fragrant, then add in shredded meat. Fry until meat is firm.
- Add in rice and seasoning to taste. Stir in fried shallots [reserving some for garnishing].
- Dish out into individual cans [equal portions]. Add about 100 ml water to each portion.
- Steam for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Leave for 10 minutes before turning out to serve on plate.
- Garnish with crispy shallots, coriander leaves and sweet sour chilli sauce [optional].