This is the first time I tried cooking with fresh aloe vera. Heard it can be used to cook tasty pork rib soup. Maybe will give it a try next time when I can get fresh aloe vera again. My friend told me she cooked sweet dessert with aloe vera, lotus seeds, white fungus and rock sugar. Here, I added dried longan and not too bad a dessert especially during this hot weather season and it can be served hot or cold according to own preference.
- 20 gm white fungus - soak for 1 hour, remove the hard yellow portion and break into small pieces
- 50 gm lotus seeds - wash with hot water. Drain, cool and remove the centre stem. Boil in a pot of hot water. Simmer till soft.
- 300 gm orange colour sweet potato - skinned, cut diamond shape. Steamed for 20 minutes till soft.
- 50 gm dried longan - wash and drain
-1-2 stalks fresh aloe vera - scrape off the green skin and cut into cubes. Put in colander and wash under running water till aloe vera is not slimy. Drain.
- Agar-agar strips - soak, drain and cut into 2 inch length strips
- 150 gm rock sugar or sugar to taste
- 2 litres water
- 3 screwpine [pandan] leaves - knotted
- Boil water with screwpine leaves and white fungus in pot till almost soft. Add in dried longan and aloe vera. Continue boiling till aloe vera pieces are translucent.
- Add in rock sugar to taste.
- To serve, scoop dessert into bowl, add in steamed sweet potatoes and agar-agar strips. Serve hot or warm or cold by adding ice cubes.
- Can cool dessert, add in all the sweet potatoes and agar-agar strips and keep in refrigerator to cool before serving.
|Edible Aloe Vera Plant|
|The 'clear' cubes are aloe vera|
I'm linking this post to September Cooking With Herbs Blog Challenge
hosted by Lavender and Lovage