Seen the recipes from No Frills and Nasi Lemak Lover's Blog but I just estimate the quantity according to what I have in the kitchen.
100 gm barley - wash and drain
150 gm gingko nuts - shell removed
1 piece beancurd sheet for 'tong sui' - soaked till soft and break into smaller pieces
150 gm rock sugar to taste
3-4 pieces screwpine leaves [pandan] - wash and knotted
3 litres water
- Boil water with barley and screwpine leaves for about 30 minutes or more till barley is cooked and soft. Meanwhile, boil gingko nuts in another small pot till soft and add a little sugar to sweeten. Set aside.
- When barley is ready, add in beancurd sheet and rock sugar to boil till dissolve for another 5 minutes. Off fire.
- Serve barley dessert with gingko nuts or add all the gingko nuts to the pot of barley.
TipsHow to prepare gingko nuts for cooking
- Wash gingko nuts. Pan fry the nuts for 10-15 minutes. Leave to cool. Knock lightly the nut shells with a pestle/hammer and remove the shells and brown skin. OR
- Boil gingko nuts in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain off water. Cool and knock lightly the nut shells with a pestle/hammer and remove the shells and brown skin.
- Cook immediately or store in container and freezed for later use.