Nowadays, big prawns are not that costly as during the Chinese New Year. They are also very fresh. This Sweet and Sour Prawns is a simple but tasty dish and the recipe which my Ma use for cooking Sweet & Sour Crabs. I used the same ingredients to cook prawns and is delicious. I added a Stir Fry Spinach with Anchovies so as to have a 2 dish meal dinner with my hubby.
SWEET AND SOUR BIG PRAWNS
300 gm big prawns [trim the head, leave shell intact]
2 tbsp oil
2-3 red chillies
1-2 inch piece ginger
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 tbsp tamarind mix with 150 - 200 ml water [strain, discard the tamarind seeds]
salt and sugar to taste
1 tsp cornflour with 1 tbsp water
- Heat oil in wok, saute pounded ingredients till aromatic, add in prawns. Fry till firm and prawn shells turned pink.
- Add in tamarind juice, bring to boil and seasoning to taste. Fry till prawns are cooked. Thicken with cornflour mix. Dish out to serve with rice. The gravy goes well with rice. Cherry tomatoes - optional
|Stir Fry Spinach with Fried Anchovies and Sweet & Sour Big Prawns|
STIR FRY SPINACH WITH FRIED ANCHOVIES
300 gm spinach
50 gm anchovies - wash and drain on colander
1-2 cloves garlic - sliced
a handful of wolfberries [kei chee] - wash
2 tbsp oil
salt and msg to taste
a dash of cooking wine
- Separate the spinach leaves and stems. Clean, leave in colander to drain away water.
- Heat oil in wok to fry anchovies till crispy. Dish out and set aside.
- Use remaining oil to saute garlic till aromatic, add in spinach to fry, add in dash of cooking wine and seasoning. Add a little water and cover to cook spinach till soft but still green. Throw in the wolfberries, fry and dish out on serving dish. Put fried anchovies on top of vegetables. Serve with rice.