This is my fifth attempt in baking a chiffon cake. Since the quantity for the ingredients are small, I tried to measure using measuring spoons and I am happy the result is satisfactory. [I did fail before probably because of the eggs or the beating processes have gone wrong but the cake is still edible eventhough the texture is not that attractive]. But this is a good recipe to keep. Rest assured, I will only post recipes which I am happy with the results.
Prepare ingredients as follows.
2 tbsp instant coffee granules } Dissolve coffee granules in warm milk. Leave to cool
50 ml warm milk }
4 egg yolks
4 tbsp castor sugar
4 tbsp corn oil
100 gm plain flour - sifted
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3 tbsp castor sugar
Some roasted black and white sesame seeds
- Beat together egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl with a hand whisk till blended. Slowly add in oil and continue whisking till well combined. Slowly drizzle in coffee mixture, continue to whisk till well combined and slightly fluffy. Fold in sifted plain flour till combined. Set aside.
- Put egg white in cake mixer bowl [make sure bowl in clean and ungreased]. Whisk egg whites till a little foamy, add in cream of tartar, continue whisking till foamy and add in sugar spoon by spoon. Keep whisking egg white mixture till soft peaks formed.
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Fold in 1/3 of meringue to egg yolk mixture. Mix evenly till well combined. Then pour into balance egg meringue. Fold till evenly combined. Pour batter into 7 inch ungreased chiffon pan. Smooth the top with a spatula and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds.
- Baked in preheat oven [lower rack] for 35 - 40 minutes.
- Invert baked cake immediately to cool completely before removing from pan.