|Crispy Prawn Fritters|
I was surprised these small, cheap white little prawns [Ringgit 4.80] can be transformed into such delicious prawn fritters. If you can get them, no harm trying, it is worth it as a finger food for the kids or serve with rice.
|These prawns are small but fleshy and sweet|
600 gm small white prawns [see photo] - shelled
2 tsp salt - to taste
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp msg or chicken stock granules
5-6 tbsp flour for deep frying [unseasoned type]
enough water to mix into a running batter
|Batter should be of this consistency|
- Put shelled prawns in a bowl. Add in salt, pepper, msg or chicken stock granules, eggs and flour. Mix well to combine and slowly add in water, little by little until you get a smooth batter but not too watery. Must be able to stick to the prawns [see photo].
- Heat oil in wok [enough to fry 4-5 pieces a time] on medium heat. Scoop a spoonful of prawn batter in to oil to fry. Fry 3-4 pieces at a time. Turn over fritters when the bottom is firm and slightly golden. Fry the other side till golden and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Continue to fry until batter is finish. Add more oil if required. Serve plain or with chilli sauce.
- Can add 1/2 tsp chilli powder for spicy flavour
- Can get a big plate of fritters - more than 20 pieces