Followers

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Vegetarian Fried Beehoon


A noodle dish I like when I thought of meatless meal.  Usually will serve the noodle dish with a warm/hot sweet dessert like green beans with barley sweet soup [recipe here] or red beans soup [recipe here].  
Looks like there are lots of ingredients for this noodle but take a closer look at it you will realise that you may have most of them in the kitchen cupboard or fridge.  You need not follow exactly all the ingredients, just make do with what you have in hand and you will end up with at least a 'five coloured noodle', believe to be good for health [protein, fibre, carbo etc....].
Ingredients
[serves 2-3]
150 gm beehoon [rice vermicelli] - soak 5-10 minutes and drain [I used 3 pieces of A1 rice vermicelli]
2 pieces sweet beancurd sheet [tian-zhu] - cut 1/2 inch pieces and deep fried till crispy
1 piece firm beancurd - cut strips
4 stalks of bok choy - cut [or sawi/choi sum]
1 small carrot -cut strips
1/2 can of young corns
30 gm dried lily buds [kim chiam] - knotted and soak to soften
2-3 dried mushrooms - soaked and cut strips
2-3 florets of black mushrooms [bok nee] - soaked and break into small pieces
some cut red chillies
2-3 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp each of salt, msg and pepper
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce [more if you prefer darker noodles] 
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cup water
  1. Heat some oil in wok  to fry firm beancurd until firm.  Dish out.
  2. Using the same wok, fry young corns, lily buds and carrots for a minute.  Dish out onto plate with beancurd.
  3. Add in dried mushrooms and black fungus.  Stir fry for a minute, pour in water and add in seasoning to taste.  Bring it to boil and add in beehoon.  Use a pair of chopstick to mix noodles with sauce.  Add in the bok choy, all of the other fried ingredients and deep fried sweet beancurd sheet pieces.  
  4. Mix well and cover wok to let noodles and ingredients cooked through.  Takes about 3 minutes.  Uncover and stir fry noodles lightly until gravy is almost dried up and noodles are soft.
  5. Dish out to serve immediately with cut chillies.
 

4 comments:

PH said...

I like this vegetarian fried beehoon very much. Full of nutrition and very filling. Its good to avoid meat once in a while to give our digestive system a good rest. You cook nice dishes everyday. If I am your neighbour I can tumpang a bit. Hah! Hah!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, Of course you can. I only cook at home during weekends and off days, so I usually prepare dishes that are simple, healthier yet good cos' I have control. Stay tune, more to come, hahaha. At my MIL and Ma's place, no way...

Veronica said...

A very healthy and yummy dish. My husband will love this and so will I.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I had to prepare this noodle cos' my hubby and I had quite a lot of meaty food for that week. So we decided to go vegetarian for a meal or two.