Followers

Monday, September 3, 2012

Bacon and Onion Savoury Chiffon Cake [Chiffon Salé]

This is a very nice savoury chiffon [Chiffon Salé] from Happy Home Baking [please visit this site for more details] which my family and friends like.  Something different from the usual sweet version of chiffon cakes. My hubby says you wouldn't know when to stop eating this cake.  Just remember to refrigerate the cake if can't finish them within 2 days [the cake may turn rancid cos' of the onions].

I've checked with HHB on why the cake didn't rise as high as hers but I realised I had forgotten to add an extra egg white and my meringue was too stiff.  I will be baking it again and must remember these to points [add 1 more egg white and must beat egg white until soft peak only].


Ingredients for Egg Yolk Mixture
[I used 7 inch tube pan]
3 egg yolks [I used large eggs]
10 gm caster sugar [I used 3/4 tbsp]
3 gm salt [I used 1/4 tsp]
50 ml vegetable oil [I used 2-3 tbsp]
50 ml water [I used 3 tbsp]

2 slices streaky bacon - finely chopped 
70 gm [about half a yellow onion] - finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
  • Pan fry bacon in a non stick pan until golden.  Remove and drain on paper towel.  Using the oil from the bacon in the same pan, saute onions until soft.  Mix in the bacon and add in some freshly ground black pepper.  Set aside to cool.
  • Whisk egg yolks with sugar and salt till creamy, then drizzle in oil.  Continue whisking for awhile then drizzle in water [about 5 minutes with hand whisk].  
  • Fold in flour until well combined.  Do not over mix.   Add in the bacon/onion mixture.  Stir with a spatula to just combine.  Set aside while you whisk the egg white.  Preheat oven at 170 degrees C.


Ingredients for Egg White Mixture
4 egg white [use large eggs]
20 gm caster sugar [I used 1 1/2 tbsp]
  • Whisk egg white until frothy, continue whisking, when foamy, gradually add in sugar.  Whisk until soft peaks formed [The soft peak stage is reached when the peaks of the whites curl over and droop slightly - should appear smooth and glossy].  Do not over beat the whites till stiff as soft peaks is for easy folding with the yolk batter.
  • Fold in 1/3 portion of meringue into egg yolk mixture till well combined.  Then fold mixture into balance meringue till well incorporated.  
  • Pour batter into 7" chiffon pan.  Knock a few times on tabletop to release air bubbles.   Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees for 30-35 minutes. 
  • Invert pan immediately after baking to cool cake before removing from pan.
  • To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin bladed knife around the inside of the pan and the centre core.  Release the cake and run the knife along the base of the pan to dislodge the cake.

2 comments:

PH said...

I still find it strange to have savoury cake. But of course, never try never know, right? Since you and your family enjoy this, I guess it is proof that it is good :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, give it a try. It's like eating a soft moist savoury kuih. But take note it doesn't stay fresh by 3rd day cos' of the onions [info from my neighbour].