Followers

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sesame Seed Figurine Mooncake 2012


This year, I'm making these figurine mooncakes in loving memory of my late father.  Last year during this time he was with us enjoying most of the mooncakes that I made but it's not happening this year.  I remembered there was a day last year during mid-autumn festival , he had a piece each of the mooncake on both hands.  While he was turning around he just lost his balance and fell on the floor.  But the unbelievable thing was, he was still holding tightly onto the mooncakes even though he fell.  My sister in-law was teasing me at that time.  She said "Wow!, you 'ang kong ah peang' [meaning figurine mooncakes in Hokkien] must be very good.  You see Pa still holding onto it even though he was sitting on the floor".
I'm glad that for years I have being making mooncakes which my Pa really enjoyed.  Last year, he tried all the varieties [figurine mooncakes and ping pei mooncakes]  but we never knew that it was going to be the last time he was enjoying the mooncakes.   He passed away about more than a month later without being seriously ill.
Anyway, this is the recipe for figurine mooncake which used less golden syrup and oil [for 300 gm flour] compared to my other recipe [for 600 gm flour].  See here for recipe.  With less syrup and oil, the dough is slightly firmer than the latter which is softer and more oily to the touch.

Shaping mooncakes
Shaped mooncakes before baking 
Baked figurine mooncakes 
Ingredients
[makes 30 pieces using the 'Angku' mould]
200 gm golden syrup [recipe here]
50 ml corn oil
3/4 tbsp alkaline water
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
300 gm plain flour - sifted [I used Rose flour]
Figurine mould - I used the small 'Angku' mould
  1. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a deep container.  Use a wooden spatula/spoon to stir until they are well blended together.  Cover and leave to rest for at least 4-5 hours [I leave it overnight].
  2. Before folding in the flour, add sesame seeds and give the syrup mixture a good stir.  Fold in sifted flour gradually and mix evenly to form a smooth and soft dough [Do not over mix or knead dough].  Cover and let it rest for another 6-7 hours [I leave it overnight].
  3. After resting, the dough will be firmer but soft and easy to handle.
  4. Divide dough into small portions according to the size of the mould used.  Roll a little of the portion then press into the figurine mould.  Dust with flour if dough sticks to mould or hand.  Knock out and place on greased baking tray.
  5. Bake in preheated oven on middle shelf  at 180 degrees C for 20 minutes or until golden.
  6. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack  before storing.
Notes
  • I don't brush the mooncakes with egg glaze.  If you do, bake mooncakes for 8 minutes, remove to cool for 1-2 minutes before brushing egg glaze then bake again for another 7-8 minutes or until golden.
  • The mooncakes will be soft immediately out of the oven but will turn hard while cooling.
  • Keep mooncakes on a tray [I used bamboo steamer trays] with lid slightly ajar for a few days or until the mooncakes are soft again before packing.

7 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, when I first saw the photo, I thought to myself "Eh, look like ang koo" and sure enough you used ang koo mould heh..heh.... I have not seen this type of mooncake before. I am sure it is nice to eat.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, it's just plain mooncakes [koong chye paeng]. The original version is without any fillings, only mooncake pastry which is soft and moist. Commercial ones are getting quite costly. Homemade ones are not that oily or sweet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe. Jeanne

Unknown said...

I had make mine. Still need 2 more days to see the real texture. 1st time of making it hope like what I bought outside.

Kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, it should be better than store bought [soft and moist, not that oily and sweet]. My aunt said it's good cos' it doesn't stick to the teeth, hahaha. Try it. The 'age' of the golden syrup affects the texture, colour, taste and 'shelf life' of the mooncake. I haven't seen mine turned moldy even after 1-2 months.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jeanne, you're welcome. Give it a try. You can make these even without a mooncake mould.

Kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, try the next recipe, you will love to make it as giveaways too. Moreover, the moulding and baking is fast.