Followers

Friday, September 21, 2012

Steamed Pumpkin Cake [Kim Kuah Kuih]

This is the usual recipe I used for preparing Steamed Pumpkin Cake [Kim Kuah Kuih in Hokkien dialect].
 

The steamed cake is QQ soft and has a nice blend of pureed pumpkin and pumpkin cubes.  Served with my homemade chilli sauce [recipe here], I believe there should be no complaints.

Recipe Source from Tiga Gajah Cho Heng Sdn Bhd, Penang
Ingredients - Batter Mixture
250 gm rice flour
100 gm wheat starch
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp msg
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1000 ml water
250 gm steamed pumpkin - mashed
  • Mix all ingredients together, stir well and strain, then add in mashed pumpkin [pumpkin puree].  Set aside. 
Ingredients - Garnishing
100 gm dried prawns - washed and pounded
1 tbsp oil
1 red chilli - finely chopped
1 stalk spring onions - cut into small pieces
50 gm fried sliced shallots
  • Fry dried prawns in oil till fragrant, remove to cool.
250 gm pumpkin -  cut into small cubes.
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic and 2 shallots - chopped
  • Greased a 10" round or square tin.
  • Heat oil in wok and saute garlic and shallots till fragrant.  Add in cubed pumpkin to fry for 5 minutes till aromatic.  Add in a little of fried dried prawns.  Stir to mix well and pour in  2/3 portion of the batter.  Continue stirring on medium heat till batter thickens.  Off fire and add in the balance [1/3 portion] batter.  Stir to mix until batter is well combined.
  • Pour into the greased steaming tray.  Smooth the surface and steam over high heat for 30 minutes.
  • After steaming, sprinkle dried prawns evenly over pumpkin cake.  Cool and before serving, sprinkle spring onions, chilli and fried shallots on cake.  
  • Cut and serve with chilli sauce.

7 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I love to eat pumpkin. This kuih is it like the yam kuih only that we use pumpkin? I want to try making this because my Mum also gila about pumpkin. Must also try your chilli sauce.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yes everything the same except here you use 500 gm pumpkin for yam kuih is only 400 gm.
The texture is chewy [QQ] and nice.

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi Kimmy, just hopped over from Fong's Kitchen Journal...saw your comment in her post. I dont think I got your comments. Blogger has auto set the comment word verification on, I have turn it off. For the word verification, you need to type in the word and the number (show in a photo form). I didn't know and when I tried to leave a comment on another blogger's blog, it kept saying I didnt get the word right, actually it was because I ignored the numbers! Your comment needs word verification too...ie word and the number. Blog owners wont know because when you leave your own comment on your own blog, the word verification won't show up.

I have kept a steamed pumpkin kuih, yam kuih recipe for 4 years, yet I have not pick up the courage to try. Yours look really good! I find that as I grown older I tend to like traditional food more ;)

Kimmy said...

Hi HHB, thanks for you info. Yes, I did ignore the numbers. Was thinking some bloggers do not want people to comment. This steamed kuih is good for a change from the baked buns.

Carole said...

Kimmy, thanks for your additions to the collection. Have a great weekend. Cheers

Ade said...

May I ask the pumpkin weight is it with skin on?

Kimmy said...

Hi Adeline, yes, I weighed the pumpkin before steaming and cutting.