Followers

Friday, September 28, 2012

Black Sesame Ping Pei Mooncake with Mixed Nuts

Here, I am using the Black Sesame Ping Pei Skin to wrap the mixed nuts filling [Ngoh Gin]  [recipe here].  The snow skin paste has a strong, nice aroma of sesame seeds.
Ingredients for Black Sesame Ping Pei Skin  
[dough weighs about 350 gm]
[makes 5 x 60-70 gm pieces depending on the thickness]
2 tbsp each of toasted black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds -  finely ground
80 gm fried glutinous rice flour [kao fun] - sifted
80 gm icing sugar - sifted
90-100 gm shortening [too little shortening the skin will be crumbly unless you make it thicker]
40-50 ml iced cold water [may not use all]
green and yellow colouring [optional]
mooncake mould 
 
 
  1. Use a blender to finely grind both sesame seeds.
  2. Combine sifted icing sugar and kao fun, then add in ground sesame powder.  Mix well
  3. Use rub-in method, add in shortening to [2] and mix until fine grains.  Gradually add in iced cold water until the dough binds.
  4. Knead into a soft and smooth paste.  Cover and rest for 15-30 minutes.
  5. Divide dough into  5   equal portions.
  6. Wrap skin over mixed nuts filling, roll into a smooth ball and edges are well sealed [always dust your hands with extra kao fun to prevent dough from sticking].
  7. Place onto dusted mooncake mould, press to fill up the mould then knock out mooncake.
  8. Serve chilled.
Notes:
I kept 1/2 portion plain and add some yellow and green colouring to the other portion [giving  some of these mooncakes to my mother in-law, she likes mixed nuts but  may not like to see black and white mooncake skin].
 

I'm submitting this post to Muhibbah Malaysian Monday hosted by
 Suresh of 3 hungry tummies

5 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I have been reading all your mooncake posts and also of the other bloggers. I learn a lot from you and I think next year I can also make mooncakes. No need to buy alreday ah..hah! hah! hah!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I'm glad my postings did get you interested. Try it and you can do it. It's economical and not time consuming making them if you planned well. The last time I bought mooncakes was 2 decades ago, hahaha.

delia said...

Hi Kimmy, for this ping pei mooncake the flour is only 80gm and the shortening is more than the flour? I can't get it right when i made this.

Kimmy said...

Hi Delia, I had the same query when I saw the recipe and I reduced the shortening to 80g, the skin was dry and crumbly. I tried again following the original recipe, it turned out alright.

Kimmy said...

Hi Delia, the skin should be thicker than normal for easier wrapping of the paste.