I have used this filling for buns last year. The buns [recipe here] were good. With no exception this year, we received a packet of 'serunding' [spicy chicken floss] a Malay Hari Raya speciality from a Malay friend. This time I used it as filling for my Layered Pumpkin Bread. I think it's alright to use other types of fillings too for this layered bread.
Ingredients - Pumpkin Bread Dough [Straight Dough Method]
[baked in 7" square baking tin]
300 gm plain flour
300 gm plain flour
1/2 tbsp skimmed milk powder
1/2 tsp salt
25 gm sugar [1 used 1 heaped tbsp]
1 small egg
100 gm pumpkin puree
50 ml water [depends on size of egg and whether puree is wet]
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp butter
- Knead all dough ingredients [except butter and water] on slow speed to combine. Gradually add in water [may not need all otherwise the dough may be too wet and difficult to handle] and continue kneading until dough is soft and smooth [about 5-10 minutes].
- Add in butter and continue kneading on low speed from the start then turn to medium speed when butter and dough has combined. Knead for about 5-10 minutes to get to window pane stage.
- Form dough into a ball. Place in a bowl covered to rest for1 hour.
- Punch down rested dough. Divide into 3 equal portions. Round up into a ball.
- Roll a portion into a 7" square piece to fit into the baking tin. Place flattened dough on the baking tin lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly a layer of chicken floss. Repeat the same process for the other 2 pieces of dough.
- Proof until double in size [about 1 hour]. Glaze with beaten egg [I used milk] and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 15 minutes. Remove and cool on wire rack. Sliced bread into any shapes[diamond, square or rectangle] you like before serving.
|Dough ready for shaping|
|Roll dough evenly into square to fit baking tin|
|Layered Pumpkin Bread with Spicy Chicken Floss|
I'm sharing this with AlphaBakes for September's 'P' theme hosted by