Followers

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Homemade Mango and Tomato Jam


A jam that has a fruit and a vegetable [is tomato a vegetable or fruit?].  Doesn't matter this jam is packed with fruity flesh that goes well with home baked bread slices.  Definitely a light [not too sweet] jam.

Ingredients
[makes 2 bottles x 500 gm] 
700 gm mango flesh - chopped finely and keep the juices too
300 gm tomatoes - chopped finely
1 tsp vanilla essence
150 ml water
200 gm sugar
  1. Prepare the fruits as above.   Place a small saucer in the freezer [this is use to test whether jam is ready].
  2. Place cut ingredients and water in a heavy based saucepan.  Bring to a rolling boil, then lower heat to simmer until soft [stirring occasionally to prevent sticking on base of pan].
  3. Add in sugar, stir and continue to simmer for about half an hour or more until mixture is thickened.  Stir occasionally to mix ingredients and add in vanilla essence when jam is almost thickened.  Simmer until it gels up. To test if jam is ready, place a teaspoon of jam on chilled saucer.  Return to the fridge and leave for a few minutes and jam should be ready if it forms a mass.
  4. Store jam in sterilised airtight bottles.  Always refrigerate jam as homemade jams are without preservatives.

I'm submitting this post to Teatime Treats Challenge hosted by 
Tea Time Treats Blogging Challenge

9 comments:

la_ultima_rosa said...

cool, I love this, thank you, I'll do :D

Unknown said...

This is interesting.I never thought about mixing tomato with fruits for jam.

kimmy said...

Hi Rosa, I love this too. Few ingredients and fast to prepare.

kimmy said...

Hi James Alina, thanks for visiting my humble blog. The sourish sweet jam is very appetising for my morning breakfast, bread toast.

Veronica said...

Hi Kimmy, I must said this is an unusual combination for jam. I bet it tastes good, especially on toast. Thanks for the great idea.

Kimmy said...

Hi Veronica, I love to try various combinations and flavours. I believe we are lucky to have such wide choices of food in this world. Believe me, I seldom repeat cooking the same dishes cos' there are still lots and lots of food to try.

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Thank you very much for entering this delicious jam into TTT!

Kitchen of Kiki said...

Hi, this combination of mango and tomato jam looks extremely interesting. Thank you for sharing it with the Tea Time Treat.

Many kitchen greeting Kiki

Kimmy said...

Hi Kiki, thanks for visiting my blog and comments. Give it a try to find out the taste....