Followers

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Kuih Bahulu - CNY 2013

Finally, I'm back to my Home Sweet Home after spending 5 days at my MIL's place.  Very tiring until I said 'No' to some unnecessary chores.   The cookies I made were finished within 2 days.  It's a good thing so that I need not have to keep the leftovers.

I have several Kuih Bahulu recipes in hand.   Some uses more sugar while others uses more flour for a 3 eggs recipe.  Finally,  I used this recipe from Ann [Anncoo Journal] which uses the least sugar and flour.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Kuih Bahulu and it's not easy to comment on whether they are good cos' I hardly eat this kuih but they are soft and fluffy and I like the mould.  

Ingredients
[makes about 40 pieces using my grandma's kuih bahulu mould]

3 eggs [I used AA size eggs]
90 gm icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
90 gm plain flour - sifted together with 3/4 tsp baking powder
  1. Whisk eggs at full speed for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy
  2. Add in sugar and vanilla essence, continue to beat for 1-2 minutes until thick and creamy.
  3. Sift in flour in 3 batches and fold with a hand whisk [do not overmix].
  4. Preheat oven at 200 degrees C with the kuih bahulu mould.
  5. Lightly brush oil onto preheated mould.
  6. Using a small spoon, scoop batter to fill mould just to the top level.
  7. Baked for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
  8. Remove cake from mould with a skewer to cool on rack.  Repeat Step 5-7 until batter is finished.
  9. Store in airtight container.



I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013
hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

Nasi Lemak Lover

12 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, I am also not a fan of kuih bahulu because I find that they are on the dry side. There is a kueh I used to eat when I was young called "Kay Nui Kueh". It is a bigger version of kueh bahulu. I must get the recipe from my aunt.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Kimmy! Happy Lunar New Year!

A friend has just given us 2 Kuih Bahulu molds yesterday... this post couldn't be more timely!!!

Sem said...

Happy CNY to you and family, you have made lovely kuih bahulu. Noticed that you used icing sugar instead of castor sugar, wonder the cake texture will be lighter?

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, will KIV for your family recipe. Must be good too.

kimmy said...

Hi Chef, great with 2 kuih molds. This helps to speed up the baking and the batter will not deflate much.

kimmy said...

Hi Sem, thanks for your greetings. I used icing sugar for most of my cookies and this kuih. The texture is lighter and fine.

Unknown said...

Hi - may I know wgrre to buy your mould with nany designs ?

Kimmy said...

Hi Mumtaj, this mould is more than 1/2 century old but I have seen this kind of mould at some hypermarts. The design is quite similar but the quality slightly different.

Anonymous said...

Kimmy, can i cook it on the stove instead of the oven?

HK

Kimmy said...

Hi HK, haven't tried, that's the old time style. Quite messy, I supposed.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimmy, this is by far the best kuih bahulu recipe i have ever tried...soft n fluffy. One problem is the cake tends to stick to the mould..gotta brush the mould with more oil or else it will stick n quite hard to remove...
HK

Kimmy said...

Hi HK, I think probably is because the mould has not been put to regular use, so it has to be well greased and heated up before placing the batter. Needs practice.