Followers

Monday, February 18, 2013

Soft Paus With Pumpkin Paste

This is a very soft, fluffy, moist and chewy [QQ] pau skin recipe which I have used for making the 'Big Paus' [recipe here].  Here is the same recipe I use to make these small paus with pumpkin paste which is also easy to prepare.   Accidentally deleted a photo  showing the filling of this pau....lol.. [thought my hubby  had download the photos for me but he didn't].  The texture of this pau is like the traditional pau [not that crumbly type] which you can  peel off the outer skin.

The recipe yields about 16 medium size paus.
Ingredients
[makes 16 pieces]
350 gm plain flour sifted to with 1 tsp double action baking powder [or pau flour]
Mix together - 200 ml lukewarm water, 40 gm caster sugar and 1/4 tsp vinegar
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp shortening
Filling - Pumpkin Paste [see here for recipe]

Using a Dough Mixer or Hand Knead
  1. Combine all the ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl.  Knead until soft [about 5-10 minutes].  Then add in the shortening, continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic.
  2. Shape into a ball and cover to rest for about 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
  3. Punch down dough and remove dough to a floured surface, shape into 2 round ball.  Press each ball flat, then divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each into a ball, then roll into flat circle.  Do the same for the other piece.
  4. Wrap each piece with about a tablespoon of filling.  Bring the edges together into a round or pleated pau shape.
  5. Place on parchment or greased proof  paper in the steaming tray.   Leave to prove for 15 - 20 minutes.
  6. Steam over high heat for 12 minutes in bamboo or electric steamer.  Off heat and leave paus for a further 3 minutes before uncovering to cool on rack. This is to prevent wrinkle, rough skin.
  7. Serve immediately or steam for about 10 minutes when serving.

18 comments:

Mich Piece of Cake said...

Hi Kimmy, I love the pumpkin paste. By the way, I tried to click on the pau recipe link but couldn't access it...

QembarDelites said...

Hi! Your paus look pretty amazing, so white and fluffy!

kimmy said...

Hi Mich, thanks for highlighting. No access to PC this past week. Already done. Good recipe to follow.

kimmy said...

Hi Jeannie, I have been using this recipe for my various paus with pandan, sweet potato and pumpkin recently. So far so good.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Kimmy! Can tell that you are an expert in making pau... there are so many related posts just on paus alone! Will bookmark this!

Unknown said...

Great looking steamed buns. Love pumpkin filling :) Remind me of not making them for quite sometimes.

Ling yuen chin said...

Thanks for ur good recipe, I try it this morning, very very good! Thanks!

Delphine said...

Hi Kimmy,
Happy New Year, kind of you to share your recipe even during CNY when you are so busy, you are only using plain flour but your paus looks very white, will it stays white when you re-steam again.

kimmy said...

Hi Chef, I often make paus cos' they can be freezed for awhile. Good whenever I'm lazy to make bread for breakfast. Just thaw and steam them for 10-15 minutes and I can have fluffy nice paus.

kimmy said...

Hi Ling and Delphine, sometimes I used pau flour for this recipe and the texture is really fine and fluffy. I steamed the quantity to serve only, either freeze or refrigerate others. Depends on when I'm serving them.

PH said...

Kimmy, I will find this pau very addictive. Sure can eat a few at one go :)

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, I think you can cos' I had to limit myself with 2 only for breakfast. My hubby has 4 in one go, hahaha!

Esther Lau said...

Hi kimmy, you're very good in making pau. Next time if I want to make pau, I know where to get the recipes :)

kimmy said...

Hi Esther, try this recipe and you will love it. My family is very addicted to this pau skin and looking forward to have them with various fillings.

AliceK said...

I just used this "soft pau" recipe to make some Chinese Sausage buns. I made the dough into rolls and rolled the sausage into it, just like what the restaurant used to sell. Yummm, this tasted so good. Thank you so much!

Kimmy said...

Hi AliceK, this pau recipe is my 'sure can' dough recipe which is easy to prepare. Many others who have tried this said it's good. Keep practicing making this dough and you can sure enjoy it with various fillings.

Keep Your Memories said...

Hi Kimmy,
Can I omit the vinegar?

Kimmy said...

Hi Keep Your Memories, I suppose you can cos' sometimes I did forget to add this small quantity and the paus were okay. Make sure the dough is kneaded until soft, smooth and elastic.