This is a very soft, fluffy, moist and chewy [QQ] pau skin recipe which I have used for making the 'Big Paus' [recipe here]. Here is the same recipe I use to make these small paus with pumpkin paste which is also easy to prepare. Accidentally deleted a photo showing the filling of this pau....lol.. [thought my hubby had download the photos for me but he didn't]. The texture of this pau is like the traditional pau [not that crumbly type] which you can peel off the outer skin.
The recipe yields about 16 medium size paus.
[makes 16 pieces]
350 gm plain flour sifted to with 1 tsp double action baking powder [or pau flour]
Mix together - 200 ml lukewarm water, 40 gm caster sugar and 1/4 tsp vinegar
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp shortening
Filling - Pumpkin Paste [see here for recipe]
Using a Dough Mixer or Hand Knead
- Combine all the ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl. Knead until soft [about 5-10 minutes]. Then add in the shortening, continue to knead until soft, smooth and elastic.
- Shape into a ball and cover to rest for about 20-30 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough and remove dough to a floured surface, shape into 2 round ball. Press each ball flat, then divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each into a ball, then roll into flat circle. Do the same for the other piece.
- Wrap each piece with about a tablespoon of filling. Bring the edges together into a round or pleated pau shape.
- Place on parchment or greased proof paper in the steaming tray. Leave to prove for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Steam over high heat for 12 minutes in bamboo or electric steamer. Off heat and leave paus for a further 3 minutes before uncovering to cool on rack. This is to prevent wrinkle, rough skin.
- Serve immediately or steam for about 10 minutes when serving.