Followers

Friday, February 1, 2013

Braised Chicken with Peanuts and Mushrooms

After cooking the braised pork belly with peanuts for my neighbour [see this post], I thought I have to cook this dish for my family too but with some modifications.  I like to cook in smaller quantity and with a variety to ingredients.  This way I need not cook too many other dishes for a meal.  Probably will cook this for CNY meals for visiting relatives.
Here, I used chicken to replace pork belly and I added ngaku [now in season] and blanched broccoli.   The last 2 ingredients can be omitted  if they aren't available.  I served this dish in a claypot, this way I can prepare it ahead of meal time and just reheat before serving.


Ingredients
[serves 3-4]
2 chicken thighs - skin removed - cut bite size pieces [you can keep the skin]
4 black mushrooms - soaked and cut
1 small can braised peanuts - drain away the sauce
5 slices ginger
1/2 tbsp sesame oil [omit if chicken is with skin]
Seasoning
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
300 ml water

2 arrow root [ngaku] - skinned and cut wedges
150 gm broccoli - cut florets
some chopped spring onions

  1. Heat up oil, add in chicken to brown [do not turn chicken pieces].  When brown, flip over to brown the other side.  If using chicken with skin, oil will ooze out when frying.  Using the oil add in ginger slices to fry until aromatic.  [If adding arrow root, brown them with the oil in pan before frying ginger].
  2. Add in mushrooms and stir fry until fragrant.
  3. Add seasoning, fry to mix all ingredients.  Then add in water, bring to a boil.  Lower heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Add in braised peanuts, stir well and bring to a boil [thicken with some cornstarch mix if prefered].  dish up to serve [I did the frying in a pan, simmer and serve the dish in a claypot].
  5. Since I'm not frying any vegetables for the meal, I added blanched broccoli to this dish.  Its good as the broccoli florets soak up the gravy making them very flavourful and tasty.



I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013
hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

Nasi Lemak Lover

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, this is a nice variation. It looks like a complete meal by itself. For a normal day can just serve rice and dish this alone. So convenient.

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, yes, this is my favourite way of preparing a meal for a small family of 3. Luckily my hubby doesn't mind, better than instant noodles-lah.

Unknown said...

I like the peanut in this dish. This dish sure go well with rice.

kimmy said...

Hi Vivian, using canned peanuts speeds up cooking time of this dish and the taste is definitely good.