CNY [Chinese New Year] 2013 is coming soon in February and this period should be quite a busy time for me with lots of CNY cookies to bake for my MIL, mum and some close relatives. Last year, I didn't bake any cookies cos' the family was mourning our Pa's passing. Whenever, I'm busy baking cookies, I'll prepare easy meals [preferably 1 Dish Meal] for the family to avoid over working myself.
This porridge is quick to cook yet delicious with meatballs, fish maw and fried beancurd skin. I served this porridge with a quick stir fry leafy vegetables. It's as appetising however simple after several hours of hard work in the kitchen.
200 gm minced meat -marinate with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sesame oil, dash of pepper and 1 tsp cornstarch
30 gm fish maw - soaked and cut into thick strips
1 piece fried beancurd skin - cut into thick strips
1 tbsp preserved salted vegetable - dong cai - rinsed
some fried garlic with oil
1 cup rice
1.5 litre water [or enough to cook porridge/broth]
1 spring onion - cut into 1" length
1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp msg or chicken stock granules
dash of sesame oil
dash of pepper
- Combine and mix marinade to minced meat and shape into small balls.
- Bring water to boil, add in dong cai and fish maw. Once water boils add in the meat balls and rice.
- Bring to a boil again, add in seasoning to taste. Boil for a few minutes or cook porridge to the consistency preferred.
- Add in fried beancurd skin. Cover pot and off fire.
- Leave for about 5-10 minutes before serving with fried garlic and spring onions.