Followers

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Never knew we can bake cakes without preheating oven until I saw Lena's post on Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake [Bake Along] and all the lovely pictures of the various cold oven bakes.  No venture no gain, I tried baking one following Mimi's Bakery recipe [see here] cos' I just have ingredients sufficient for this recipe.

The cake is soft, fine texture and buttery.  Lovely cake which I wouldn't mind baking often.  I noticed the cake shrinks a little after cooling.

Ingredients
[I used loaf pan 15cm x 5cm x 5cm]
[original recipe from Mimi's Bakery with some modifications]
75 gm butter - melted with cream cheese - double boiled
75 gm cream cheese
75 gm castor sugar [I used 60 gm]
2 eggs - separated
1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
125 gm self raising flour [I used 125 gm plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder]
1/4 tsp salt
  1. Beat egg yolks with sugar until creamy, drizzle in melted butter and cream cheese.
  2. Add in essence, grated ginger and lemon zest, then fold in sifted flour and salt.
  3. Fold to incorporate well all the ingredients.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peak.  Fold in 1/3 to egg yolk batter, then the remaining egg whites.
  5. Pour into a loaf pan.
  6. Bake on lower middle rack in cold oven at 160 degrees C for 50-60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
  7. Remove and cool in tin for 5-10 minutes then invert cake to cool completely before slicing.


Notes
Cake keeps well for 3 days in room temperature.

4 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, looks like your cake is very successful. Very nice colour too. I also wanted to bake a cream cheese pound cake. Maybe this weekend :)

kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, try it. Tastes good.

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi Kimmy! That cake will be gone before 3 days in my house!

kimmy said...

Hi Chef, that's a good thing when there are a lot of food choices in the house.