I have seen this lovely huat kuih recipe [prosperity cake] [here] and made some recently.
The steamed cake rose and cracked nicely. They are soft, moist and light even on the next day. The sweetness is just nice for me with the reduced amount of sugar used.
Recipe adapted from Amiliaya Recipe [modified]
[makes about 20 small huat kuihs]
50 gm purple sweet potato [ 紫薯]
210 ml water [水]
180 gm rice flour [粘米粉]
75 gm sugar [糖] - I used 60 gm
1 tsp yeast [酵母]
- Steam purple sweet potatoes until soft [about 20-30 minutes]. Blend steamed sweet potatoes with water. Pour into a big mixing bowl.
- Mix and combine blended mixture with rice flour, sugar and yeast. Cover bowl and let it rise for about 2 1/2 hours.
- After resting for 2 1/2 hours, add in baking powder and mix well. Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Stir then pour into paper cups or greased moulds until the rim.
- Steam over high heat for 15 minutes.
Click here for more Huat Kuih Recipes
This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids