Followers

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

NYONYA MI KOO [STEAMED TORTOISE BUNS]

I have posted several Mi Koo recipes [see recipe and others] which are all reliable ones that produce lovely steamed buns.
Recently, I came across this recipe which I noticed using bread flour to make Mi Koo and shortening is not used.  The dough only needs 1 time proofing before steaming. Afraid that the Mi Koo may not turned out well, I did add 1 tablespoon shortening to the recipe.
Verdict - The Mi Koo turns out soft and moist even on the next day without reheating.  They are good but I can't tell whether it is good if shortening is omitted.  I daren't take the challenge of omitting the shortening cos' my Mi Koo are for giveaways and afraid it may failed.  If you do try making it without shortening, I would appreciate if you can let me know the outcome.

Recipe Source for my selected Cookbook for February 2016 – Nyonya Flavours [modified]


Ingredients
[makes 10 - 12 round Mi Koo]
600 gm bread flour
150 gm castor sugar
250 – 300 ml warm water
4 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp shortening [optional]
½ tsp pink colouring mixed with 3 tbsp water for brushing
  1. Combine sugar and water.  Stir till sugar dissolves.  Mix in the yeast.
  2. Add sugar/yeast mixture to bread flour and knead to form a rough dough.  Add in shortening and knead until smooth and soft dough.
  3. Divide into 10 - 12 equal portions [about 100-110 gm each].    Shape into round balls and place on paper cases.  Leaving some space in between the dough.
  4. Leave to prove for 30-40 minutes or until double in size.
  5. Brush colouring on Mi Koo and steam over high heat for 20 minutes.
  6. Off heat and leave Mi Koo in steamer for a further 3 minutes before removing to cool on wire rack.
Notes:  Original recipe advised to open the steamer lid every 5 minutes of steaming.  I did try this step and the Mi Koo looks smooth.

I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Countdown 2 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

20 comments:

Katie Foong said...

I will try, but I think I am kiasu, want to add shortening.
Thanks Kimmy

Kimmy said...

Hi Katie, me too kiasu that's why I add the shortening. Do you know that these days many are switching to pork lard to replace the shortening? I may try it if I'm not serving these to vegetarians.

EmilyC said...

I might give this a go... and since I do not have shortening or lard... hahaha

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, do give this a try without the fats and let me know if these buns are soft, moist and chewy. If it is successful, I'll definitely try the same, much healthier version.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Your mikoo has lovely texture! These are perfect for CNY celebrations! Now I'm curious about not using the shortening too!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, this is good to serve steaming hot with roasted pork [siew yoke]. My family's favourite buns.

mflow said...

I tried without shortening , I even leave it under hot sun for 40 mins b4 steam , it turn out ok, but a bit chewy

Kimmy said...

Hi Low, thanks for trying without shortening and sharing the outcome. Chewy should be okay but not tough and hard. I think I'll add shortening cos' we are used to soft, fluffy and moist mi koo. Wondering if there is a typo error in the recipe.

TeaLady said...

I;ve never made steam buns. But these look so pretty I will have to try.

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, these kind of buns are very common in Northern Malaysian states especially Penang and Taiping, Perak. Easily available at most morning markets here. Can be frozen and keeps well for a long time, just thaw and steam before serving on its own or with butter spread. Awesome.

cinbaby said...

Hi kimmy, can I use pao flour instead?

Kimmy said...

Yes, even better. But the one with bread flour is also good.

eemie said...

Do you have a gluten free option since I can't do gluten flour? i love love mi koo and missed it since gluten free.

Kimmy said...

Hi Eemie, sorry I don't have a gluten free recipe for these buns. Maybe you can try with buckwheat flour.

Jen said...

Hi Kimmy, How come mine always shrunk after steaming. Tastewise is Yummy though.

Kimmy said...

Hi Jen, steaming mi koo is like steaming baos though the steaming time is longer than baos. The buns must not be under or over proof, make sure is proof to double in size and steamed over high heat, no water condensation or drippings over steamed buns. Practice makes perfect and you may be able to discover what went wrong in the process. Sometimes, I do face this problem when trying out new bao recipes. Don't be discouraged to try again as it is worthy to make them yourself. What steamer are you using? If it is not bamboo steamer, do try to wrap the cover with cloth to prevent vapour dripping over the buns.

Unknown said...

Hi Kimmy, Can I use regular plain flour?

Kimmy said...

Hi Unknown, yes you can but it wouldn't be as whitish as if you use pau flour. Most important is the dough must be well kneaded until elastic and pliable. Some of my senior friends used plain flour for making these buns and steamed paus, too.

Baby Mozart said...

Thanks for the recipe. I would like to know if I can use cooking oil (olive oil) or butter to replace shortening ?

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Mozart, yes you can, only cooking oil.