Followers

Thursday, February 4, 2016

JELLYFISH KERABU [KERABU HAI TAY]

No idea why jellyfish are easily available during this time of the year.  Is this item an ingredient for Yee Sang or for some other dishes or steamboat? Anyway, I jellyfish salad is my favourite which I only get to enjoy during course dinners when it is served together with others in the first course.
It is crispy, tasteless on it's own but combined with other ingredients and a sweet sour dressing, it's awesome.
Since I have most of the ingredients ready in my fridge, I bought some fresh jellyfish from the fishmonger at the wet market to make this appetising salad.

I made half portion of this recipe enough for 3-4 persons.
Recipe adapted from Nyonya Flavours

Ingredients
300 gm jellyfish
100 gm cooked shrimps - sliced
1 big onion or 4 shallots - peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 ginger flower - finely sliced
some mint leaves
2 tbsp toasted grated coconut [kerisek]
2 tbsp ground toasted peanuts
Dressing - combined
2-3 tbsp sambal belacan
4 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp sugar or to taste

  1. Wash jellyfish and place in a colander in the sink.  Pour hot water over the jellyfish to blanch, then rinse under running tap water immediately to stop further cooking.  Drain and slice jellyfish thinly.
  2. Combined the dressing ingredients, taste to adjust seasoning.
  3. Toss well all the ingredients with the dressing. 
  4. Serve or chill in the fridge.
I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Countdown 2 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

4 comments:

Emily said...

Another awesome recipe from your book, delicious looking!

kitchen flavours said...

Your plate of kerabu looks very appetizing! I could eat a plateful of this!

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily and Joyce, this is yummy, my favourite in the 4 or 5 season platter. Very appetising, I agree. Happy CNY.

TeaLady said...

So many interesting ingredients you have at your disposal. So different than here in the US.