Followers

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

FISH MAW SOUP [NYONYA HU PIOH T'NG]

There are usually some leftover fish maw from CNY steamboat.  I used it to cook this yummy-licious, tasty soup with prawns and meatballs.
Good quality fish maw is rather expensive especially during festive season and we must not waste them.  Good quality ones will expand quite a lot and not soggy after cooking.  They are soft but chewy.  If you do happen to have these ingredient leftover from your CNY reunion steamboat, do keep them for this soup.
Recipe Source for my selected Cookbook for February 2016 – Nyonya Flavours [modified]

Ingredients
30 gm fish maw - soaked to soften and cut small pieces
a few slices of ginger
100 gm yambean or water chestnuts - sliced 1/2 cm thick
50 gm red carrot - sliced 1/2 cm thick
50 gm Chinese cabbage [I omit]
some fried crispy garlic
chopped coriander or spring onions
Seasoning
1 litre water
1/2 - 1 tsp salt to taste
1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
Prawn Paste [mix together]
200 gm shelled prawns - finely chopped
1 tbsp tapioca flour
salt and pepper to taste
  1. Bring water to boil in a pot.  Add in ginger and fish maw.  Allow to boil for 5-10 minutes until fish maw is soft.
  2. Add in the yambean/water chestnuts and carrots [cabbage if using].  Season to taste.
  3. Let ingredients cooked for a further 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
  4. Scoop prawn paste into balls using a wet, metal teaspoon and drop them into the boiling soup.  Allow to cook fro 1-2 minutes.
  5. Serve soup garnished with coriander or spring onions and some fried garlic.



This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

 
I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Countdown 2 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray


8 comments:

Emily said...

That looks delicious! We are expecting more great dishes from you with this book during CNY period? What a treat!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Oooh... your soup looks very delicious! I love fish maw and I do agree, they can get pretty costly. This soup would be perfect for a family reunion dinner at home! Thanks for linking with Cookbook Countdown.

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, I'll try my best. I have tried quite a number of recipes from this book and so far they are not disappointing.

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, this soup is 'ho liao' in every sense and not difficult to prepare at all if you have all the ingredients. I hope there will be some leftover fish maw from our steamboat dinner for me to cook this soup again.

Baby Sumo said...

I love fish maw soup, we usually cook ours with some radish. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family, Kimmy. :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Baby Sumo, good idea to add radish. I add red carrots for colour. Gong Xi Gong Xi to you and family too.

TeaLady said...

Ok, I had to lookup fish maw. NOT something you would ever find in stores in Louisiana USA. Interesting. I learn so much from reading food blogs.

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, thanks for visiting my humble blog and I'm glad that you find it of help and interesting. Fish maw is some kind of fish bladder from big fishes and sun dried. It keeps well for ages. Some needs to be deep fried, soak to plump up before cooking. It is getting costly here in Asia.