Followers

Monday, February 22, 2016

ASSAM HAE [FRIED TAMARIND PRAWNS]

Assam Hae, is a very common dish in my mum’s place. She prepares this very often and I have posted her recipe before.
Yesterday, I prepared this dish with some prawns leftover from CNY celebration, according to the recipe from the book ‘Nyonya Flavours’. 
The fried tamarind prawns turned out very tasty and delicious eventhough the prawns which I used aren’t that fresh.
For the photos, you would notice that the head and tail of the prawns have changed colour. I cooked half portion of this recipe.
Recipe adapted from Nyonya Flavours [My selected cookbook of the month for Cookbook Countdown Event #2 – February 2016]
Ingredients - slightly modified
500 gm fairly large whole prawns – trimmed the head
Some oil for frying
Marinade
80 gm tamarind pulp
½ tbsp each of salt, sugar and dark soy sauce
25 ml water
  1. Wash and drain prawns in a colander.
  2. Combine marinade ingredients well. Marinate the prawns for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
  3. Heat some oil in a non-stick wok over medium low heat. Add prawns and marinade, fry until slightly burnt and aromatic or until prawns are cooked through.
  4. Dish out onto a serving plate.  Served with sliced zuchini and sambal belacan.
I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Countdown 2 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, your assam hae looks delicious! Even though I am not that crazy about prawns, I still eat if it is cooked in any kind of sweet and sourish sauce.

EmilyC said...

Bookmarked! So tempting! and Delish!

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, my hubby doesn't fancy prawns but he still ate some. My girl was so happy when she saw this dish on the dinner table. It is her favourite.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
Prawns is a favourite in my house. A plate of this dish would be gone in no time at all. Looks delicious!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, I don't mind having this prawns again. They are nice. Wish I had cooked Nasi Lemak, then.

TeaLady said...

Shrimp! My absolutely my fave food. This looks absolutely delicious.

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, an interesting flavoured fried prawns that is savoury, sourish and sweet. Very good to serve with plain or coconut cream rice.

Anonymous said...

I am preparing for a party and your post did help a lot. I really appreciate for what you have been sharing with us. Those are just so awesome
Restaurant Management Software