Followers

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

FRIED RICE ALA YANG CHOW

After all the Chinese New Year goodies for many, many meals, it is time for something simple yet as appetising. This is a Chinese style fried rice using fried rice mix. It is an easy fried rice recipe like the others and as tasty and delicious as usual.
It is very versatile fried rice where you can substitute most of the ingredients like lap cheong with char siew, mixed frozen vegetables with carrots, canned green peas and green peas or French beans, button mushrooms with dried mushrooms etc.
Ingredients
[serves 2]
3 cups cooked cooled rice [from about 1 cup uncooked rice]
2 eggs – mix with dash of pepper
2-3 tbsp oil
50 gm prawns – diced
1 Chinese sausage [Lap Cheong] - diced
4 tbsp frozen peas
½ carrot – peeled and diced
1 piece 5 spice flavoured firm beancurd – cubed
2 dried mushrooms – soaked and diced
Seasoning 
1 tbsp each light soy sauce and oyster sauce
Dash of pepper
½ sachet Seri Aji Ala Yang Chow [Chinese Fried Rice Mix]
1 tsp sesame oil
Garnishing – some chopped spring onions and sambal belacan
  1. Heat wok with oil, fry beancurd until lightly brown, add sausage, dried mushrooms, prawns and carrots. Fry until cooked.  Push aside, pour in the eggs and scramble lightly.
  2. Add in rice and stir constantly until fragrant to combine well.
  3. Add in seasoning, sesame seed oil and frozen peas, toss over high heat until well combined and rice is light.
  4. Dish up to serve with sambal belacan and garnish with spring onions.
Tips – for best results in frying rice, use cooked rice that is cooled or preferably kept overnight and always stir ingredients well after each addition over medium to high heat.

8 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, that's my favorite fried rice and I see that you have a spoon of sambal to go with it. Sure very ho chiak!

DG said...

So admire in your baking and cooking, like this fried rice, almost look like golden fried rice to me, so delicious. Here, I wish a Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family. :)

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, the sambal is there cos' I'm a Penang Lang, descendant of a Peranakan family. Fried rice with sambal seems incomplete, hehehe!

Kimmy said...

Hi DG, not bad to know I have an admirer for my cooking and baking. It's a boost for me to cook and bake more. I love trying new ways to cook or bake. Best if they are healthier but still yummy, then I can enjoy more varieties of food.

Nancy Chan said...

Hello Kimmy, I hopped over from Phong Hong's blog and I saw my favourite fried rice with sambal belacan. It looks so very delicious. I am following you on GFC. Have a lovely day!

Kimmy said...

Thanks Nancy for visiting my humble blog. Fried rice is always welcome in the family and is great for easy meals at home. There are various flavours and ingredients that can be used for frying yet it is always awesome especially with sambal belacan.

Baby Sumo said...

Hehe we also cooked fried rice this CNY, a nice break after the heavy feasting. Your fried rice sounds yummy~

Kimmy said...

Hi Yen, how I wish I can just cook fried rice during busy times like CNY so that I can spend time watching festive programmes on TV while snacking on CNY cookies, hehehe!