Followers

Monday, February 8, 2016

CNY 2016 - STEAMED RICE WITH CHINESE WAXED SAUSAGE

With this post, I am wishing all my Chinese visitors, blogger friends, acquaintances, relatives and friends 
"A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY, SAFE AND PROSPEROUS CHINESE NEW YEAR"
There are numerous versions of Chinese Waxed Meat/Sausage Steamed Rice commonly cooked during Chinese New Year when waxed meat [lap cheong, lap bak, liver sausages, waxed duck meat etc] are in abundance.  I, for one will cook this kind of steamed rice during this time of the year.
This is a delicious One Dish Meal which my family never says "NO" to it.  As it is a very meaty meal, I served it with a vegetable soup.
Recipe Source - My Kuali.com by Amy Beh
2 cups rice - washed
3 cups water
1 Chinese waxed sausage [lap cheong] - remove the wrapping and slice slantwise
2 dried mushrooms - soaked and sliced
100 gm shelled prawns - I omit
1 tsp each of sesame oil and oil
1 chicken thigh - sliced
Marinade - 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp sesame oil
Seasoning
2 tsp each of salt, sugar, light soy sauce and oyster sauce
some chopped spring onion

  1. Put rice and water in an electric rice cooker and cook accordingly [I steamed rice in an electric steamer for 30 minutes and rest for 10 minutes].
  2. Marinate chicken with marinade ingredients for at least 15 minutes.
  3. Heat wok with oil and sesame oil.  Fry mushrooms and seasoning for 1 minutes.  Add seasoning then stir in prawns [if using]. I skipped this step, instead I heat up the seasoning with the oil for several minutes.  Set aside.
  4. Fluff up the cooked rice.  Spread mushrooms, marinated chicken and lap cheong over rice.  Steam for 10-15 minutes.  If cooking in rice cooker [half time through cooking], spread mushrooms, chicken and lap cheong over rice.  Continue to cook until rice is done.  Drizzle seasoning sauce over rice.  Stand rice for 10 minutes before serving.
  5. Drizzle over seasoning sauce.  Sprinkle with some chopped spring onions.  Serve hot.

This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

 

6 comments:

PH said...

Kimmy, Keong Hee Huat Chye! This steamed rice with Chinese waxed sausage is delicious. I love it a lot and can have two servings :) Have a wonderful new year with your family!

Kimmy said...

Thanks Phong Hong, greetings to you too. Gong Xi Fa Cai. I will definitely cook this again once I'm back home. Tomorrow I'll go get some waxed meat, hope there is still some stock left. Sometimes, it is all sold out by now.

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Hi Kimmy,
Gong Xi Fa Cai !^-^!
This steam lap cheong + mushrooms + chicken is my fav childhood meal and I occasionally cook this dish too. Pretty hassle free as pour into rice cooker during half time through cooking, so call my 1 pot dish.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family! This steamed rice with Chinese sausages is so easy to cook and very yummy for all occasions :)

Zoe

Kimmy said...

Hi Karen, I have tried several versions but never use the rice cooker. All the time serving them in individual platter and cooking it by steaming. Really hassle free and so presentable. Each one has equal share of the food.

Kimmy said...

Hi Zoe, I agree is suitable for all occasions and having it with own family or a group of close friends, wow! so enjoyable.