With this post, I am wishing all my Chinese visitors, blogger friends, acquaintances, relatives and friends
"A VERY HAPPY, HEALTHY, SAFE AND PROSPEROUS CHINESE NEW YEAR"
There are numerous versions of Chinese Waxed Meat/Sausage Steamed Rice commonly cooked during Chinese New Year when waxed meat [lap cheong, lap bak, liver sausages, waxed duck meat etc] are in abundance. I, for one will cook this kind of steamed rice during this time of the year.
This is a delicious One Dish Meal which my family never says "NO" to it. As it is a very meaty meal, I served it with a vegetable soup.
Recipe Source - My Kuali.com by Amy Beh
2 cups rice - washed
3 cups water
1 Chinese waxed sausage [lap cheong] - remove the wrapping and slice slantwise
2 dried mushrooms - soaked and sliced
100 gm shelled prawns - I omit
1 tsp each of sesame oil and oil
1 chicken thigh - sliced
Marinade - 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp each of salt, sugar, light soy sauce and oyster sauce
some chopped spring onion
- Put rice and water in an electric rice cooker and cook accordingly [I steamed rice in an electric steamer for 30 minutes and rest for 10 minutes].
- Marinate chicken with marinade ingredients for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat wok with oil and sesame oil. Fry mushrooms and seasoning for 1 minutes. Add seasoning then stir in prawns [if using]. I skipped this step, instead I heat up the seasoning with the oil for several minutes. Set aside.
- Fluff up the cooked rice. Spread mushrooms, marinated chicken and lap cheong over rice. Steam for 10-15 minutes. If cooking in rice cooker [half time through cooking], spread mushrooms, chicken and lap cheong over rice. Continue to cook until rice is done. Drizzle seasoning sauce over rice. Stand rice for 10 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle over seasoning sauce. Sprinkle with some chopped spring onions. Serve hot.
This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids