I had some savoury sweet chang filling left over from making of Puah Kiam Ti Rice Dumpling and used it as filling [click here for the recipe] for this wholemeal pau.
The pau skin is soft, moist and chewy. I believe this can be a basic wholemeal pau recipe which you can use with any other fillings of your choice.
Ingredients for Pau Skin
[makes 20 small paus]
240 gm pau flour
20 gm wholemeal bread flour
25 gm icing sugar
20 gm shortening
1 ½ tsp instant yeast
- For Pau Skin – combine all the ingredients [except shortening] in a mixing bowl. Knead until soft then add in the shortening.
- Continue to knead until soft, smooth and pliable. Shape into round and cover to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 20 equal portions, shape into rounds then flatten each into a circular disc.
- Wrap filling with dough and pleat into a pau shape. Place on a piece of paper.
- Repeat process until finish. Leave to proof for 30-40 minutes.
- Steam over rapid boiling water for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove to cool on rack or serve immediately.