Followers

Thursday, February 25, 2016

KERABU BAK PHOEY [PORK SKIN KERABU]

This is the first time I prepare this Kerabu.  The more common Kerabu which I know are Jellyfish KerabuKerabu Bok Nee and Mixed Vegetable Salad etc. 
I have seen this recipe from the book  Nyonya Flavours but never thought of trying it until yesterday when I had in hand some very nice pork skin from the butcher.
So this is it, crunchy, tasty and spicy pork skin kerabu.  This salad is packed with collagen from the pork skin.
The recipe is very simple from Nyonya Flavours [my selected cookbook for Cookbook Countdown Event - February 2016]. 
Ingredients
300 gm pork skin - cleaned *
150 gm cooked shrimps - shelled and sliced
60 [6] shallots or 1 big onion - peeled and thinly sliced
some chopped coriander leaves
Dressing [combined]
2 tbsp sambal belacan
2 tbsp toasted grated coconut - pounded
2 tbsp sugar to taste
2 tbsp lime juice
salt to taste [optional]
  1. Bring a pot of water to boil, add in the pork skin.  Boil until soft but still firm to the bite about 20-25 minutes.
  2. Drain and cool.  Cut the skin into thin strips [>1 cm] or finer as preferred.
  3. Toss pork skin with remaining ingredients and dressing.
  4. Serve.
* Note - To clean the pork skin, wash with salt, cornstarch and some water.  Scrape the surface with a sharp knife, shaving off any bristles.  Also slice off any excess fats that may be attached to the skin.  Blanch pork skin in hot water, then boil in a pot of clean water [step 1].
I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Countdown 2 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

7 comments:

Emily said...

I don't believe I tasted this dish before. Sounds intriguing!

PH said...

Wahh...Kimmy I am going weak at the knees LOL! I love pork skin a lot and that's the part I enjoy when eating tau yew bak or siow bak. My mum will also sure drooling when she sees your kerabu. Hmm...do you have to make special request to the butcher to buy the skin or does he sell it there and then?

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, I like pork skin when eating Prawn Noodles [Penang Hokkien Prawn Mee]. It is chewy, QQ and very tasty when it absorbs the flavour of the soup but in this kerabu it takes up the taste of spicy, sourish and sweet dressing.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, pork skin is available from the butcher 'FOC'. Can request for good quality ones from him and he is always very kind to give you the best part [the thick, bristle free portion].

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I love pork skin, but trying not to each too much of it! I know that if I have a plate of your kerabu on my table, it will disappear really quick! Looks delish!

TeaLady said...

So many interesting dishes. This also looks tasty. As have all of your dishes from this cook book.

Kimmy said...

Hi TeaLady, we are lucky. In Asia, there is a wide variety of food ingredients available throughout the year and our ancestors are great people to come out with interesting dishes using whatever they have in hand.