Followers

Thursday, February 11, 2016

KUIH PAITI/PIE TEE [TOP HATS]

What is Pie Tee aka Kuih Paiti or Top Hats? 
Answer from Wikipedia - " Pie Tee is a thin and crispy pastry tart shell kuih filled with a spicy, sweet mixture of thinly sliced vegetables and prawns. It is a popular Peranakan dish. The shells are made of flour. Similar to Popiah [spring rolls], the main filling is shredded Chinese turnips and carrots and  some other ingredients". 
For the Filling Recipe, please refer here.
I am sharing here the recipe for Pie Tee.
Recipe Source for my selected Cookbook for February 2016 – Nyonya Flavours [modified]
Ingredients
Batter Ingredients For Pastry Shells
180 gm rice flour
50 gm plain flour
50 gm cornflour
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg
350 ml water
500 ml or more oil for frying
  1. Sieve all the 3 types of flour into a mixing bowl.  Add in salt and baking powder.
  2. Lightly beat the egg and add in to sifted flour together with water.  Use a whisk to mix the batter well until smooth [the batter is watery].  Leave to stand for about 1 hour before use.
  3. Heat Pie Tee mould in  oil over a low fire.  When hot, dip the mould into the batter to cover up to 2/3 of the mould or almost to the rim.
  4. Deep fry in the oil until set.  Shake pastry shells off the mould and fry until golden brown.  Drain well on paper towels and cool before storing in air-tight containers.
  5. Serve pie tee with pei tee filling, garlic chilli sauce and some fried crispy shallots.
Note: Keep well for at least a week. If shells have lost their crunch, toast them for a few minutes in a preheated oven.
This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate: Chinese New Year 2016 hosted by Yen from GoodyFoodies, Diana from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids

 
I'm submitting this post to Cookbook Countdown 2 hosted by Kitchen Flavours and Emily's Cooking [Makan2] Foray

15 comments:

DG said...

OMG, I love this very much Kimmy, looking at your pie tees really make me want to try it hehehehe I would like to wish you a Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family :)

PH said...

Kimmy, you are so clever! I only eat this Pie Tee at the restaurant. I don't think I can handle the pastry part hah..hah..

Kimmy said...

Hi DG, I love these crispy cases with vege filling very much. They are very addictive that I can only have this for lunch. Patience is needed to make these. Quite time consuming but it is fun and worthy when you see your family enjoy them.

Kimmy said...

Hi Phong Hong, most ppl will have this at the Nyonya Food outlets. My hubby had this when he was entertaining his overseas friends who came to Penang, but he came back complaining that they were damned expensive for the quantity served. When I made these, he enjoyed it very much cos' it is FOC from my kitchen, lol.

Unknown said...

Great Recipe... Keep it up..different ways to cook eggs

Emily said...

Delish!! I have this pie tee mould for the longest time, and never did use it once! You might just have inspired me to put it to use!

Kimmy said...

Hi Emily, mine has been with me for decades. Wondering why in the first place I bought it and not using it as often. They are really nice with this kind of filling [fried or raw].

Sherlyn said...

Hi Kimmy, I love pie tee, will try your recipe when I'm free. I tried a few other different recipes on pie tee shells but it always fail with a hole at the bottom.. May I know why? Thanks.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sherlyn, you have to make sure that the mould is well coated with the batter before lifting up to prevent having a hole at the bottom. The mould must not be too hot otherwise the batter will be 'cooked' and drop off the mould even before you put it into the oil to fry. But practice makes perfect. You have to try and some may fail. It's okay if the hole in the case isn't too big.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kimmy,
I have not made any pie tee for years! I used to make these for family gatherings every so often, that I surrender! Very tedious work to fry the hats. But so good to eat!
Your pie tee looks delicious! Thanks for sharing with CC!

Kimmy said...

Hi Joyce, fully agree with you that these are so good to eat with yam bean filling but tedious work. But it is worthy to make some to enjoy occasionally.

Chloe said...

Hi Kimmy
Wow this is my all time favorite but I had problems before with the shells. They tend to stick to the mold and some also had holes at bottom. What causes the shells to stick and refused to drop off? I will try your recipie. Also do u need to add water to the batter towards the later part of the frying? Does this recipie yields a lot of shells. Your shells look fab. Thanks Chloe

Kimmy said...

Hi Chloe, the first few sometimes will not turn out well. Needs some skill and practice like I have explained to Sherlyn. Shake the mould a lightly seconds after you dip the batter into oil to dislodge, then continue to fry until lightly brown. No, I didn't add water towards the end. This portion yields about 2 big tins, quite a lot. Maybe you can try 1/2 portion and use a small egg.

Zoe said...

Hi Kimmy,

I missed eating pie tee. I bought the mould many years ago and it is siting in my cupboard!!! Got to try making some too.

Zoe

TeaLady said...

These look like a much better way to eat an eggroll. Love how these look.