Followers

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Brown Beans, Black Glutinous Rice Dessert



Recipe from a neighbour who loves black glutinous rice dessert but for health reasons came up with this dessert where she adds red beans and gingko nuts.  Although a little different from traditional recipe it is still acceptable for a change.  Anyway, I used brown beans instead of red beans.  The dessert was yummy especially with black glutinous rice, the dessert is slightly thick and creamy when coconut milk is added.   She omits the coconut milk but I added it.

Ingredients
[serves 4-5]
150 gm brown beans or red beans - washed and soaked 2-3 hours
25 gm glutinous rice - washed and soaked for an hour
a handful of dried longan  [optional] - rinsed
2 screwpine leaves [pandan leaves] - knotted
1.2 litres water
80 gm rock sugar to taste
100 gm gingko nuts - shelled removed
1 tbsp sugar
50 ml coconut milk mix with 1/4 tsp salt [refrigerate]
  1. Boil water with screwpine leaves.  Add in brown beans/red beans and glutinous rice to cook.
  2. Bring to a rolling boil for 5-10 minutes.  Turn to low heat and simmer until beans and rice are soft and slightly thick.
  3. Use another small saucepot, boil gingko nuts with some water for 5-10 minutes.  Drain away water and add enough fresh water and 1 tbsp sugar to gingko nuts.  Bring it to a boil, cook until gingko  nuts are soft and sweet [water reduced to thick].
  4. Add rock sugar and dried longans to the softened beans and rice.  Boil till rock sugar dissolves.  Taste to adjust the sweetness.   Off heat, cover pot immediately [this is just to plump up the longans, so that they are firm and sweet].  
  5. Add in gingko nuts to individual bowls when serving.  
  6. Serve hot/warm with coconut milk.


6 comments:

Quay Po Cooks said...

Oh I love this dessert. All my favorite ingredients in it.

WendyinKK said...

Coconut milk and beans.. oh my, I'm in heaven!

Brown beans.. hmm. Pardon my ignorance, but I can't recognise the bean from the picture or the name. What's the chinese name for it?
And I also saw dried longan in the dessert, but it's not found in the recipe. Any typo?

Kimmy said...

Quay Po Cooks, Glad you like this. Me too especially when I add the coconut milk.

Kimmy said...

Wendy, Thanks for highlighting the error. I added the dried longan on impulse, that's why it was left out. Some 'tong sui' stalls use these beans to cook the so called 'ang tau th'ng' but actually it is brown beans. In chinese [hokkien] it is called 'chea tau'. I got it from our local supermarket chain. Costs RM5.50/kg. I prefer brown beans to red beans because of its colour and texture.

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi, I'm visiting through Aspiring Bakers. This is quite different, and I love black glutinous rice dessert and this one looks more healthy than the usual one.

kimmy said...

Hi Mich, yes, this is healthier version. By adding the glutinous rice, the soup becomes slightly thicker and goes well with the coconut milk. I enjoyed it very much.