For this year's Dumpling 'Chang' Festival, my family won't be making any dumplings. Since the family [especially the teenage kids] loved savoury glutinous rice so much, I decided to make Lor Mai Kai to satisfy their cravings.
The recipe is actually Lor Mai Kai [Steamed Savoury Glutinous Rice] but instead of the usual steaming in bowls, I wrapped them with lotus leaf after checking with dear Sonia when I saw her posting on LMK. Apart from the LMK flavours, it also has the fragrance of the lotus leaf. I should say it is Yum Yum [better than store bought].
My first intention was to follow 3 different recipes shared by Sonia, [Nasi Lemak Lover], Ah Tze [Awayofmind] and Happy Flour [LMK]. On second thought, I think I can't handle 3 different recipes in one go, so I decided to use a recipe that I have which makes enough to give to my mum and her grandchildren. To my dear friends, I will try each of yours when I am preparing less of it.
Here are the ingredients and method. I actually made 9 LMK with lotus leaf and 3 in bowls.
[makes 12 bundles]
600 gm glutinous rice - washed and soaked in water for at least 4 hours or overnight
Seasoning for glutinous rice [mix together in a big mixing bowl]
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each of sugar, Ajinomoto, pepper
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp oil
- Drain glutinous rice and steam for 45 minutes or until rice is thoroughly cooked. Remove and add to seasoning. Mix seasoning and rice well. Roughly divide into 12 equal portions.
3 chicken thighs - deboned - each cut into 4 pieces
12 small dried mushrooms - soaked and keep whole
2 Chinese sausages - skin removed and sliced slantly to get 12 pieces
100 gm char siew - store bought [cut 12 slices]
150 gm pork, cut into slices [I omit]
Seasoning for meat and mushrooms
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp Ajinomoto
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp each of oyster sauce, sesame oil, cooking oil
2 tsp wine
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp cornflour
1 stalk spring onion and a piece of ginger - lightly mashed [optional]
- Season chicken, pork and mushrooms with the seasoning for meat for at least an hour.
3 pieces of lotus leaf
- Blanched in hot water until soft. Remove and rinse to clean. Using a scissor, cut each leaf into 4 pieces. Drain on colander to drip dry the leave.
To Wrap LMK in lotus leaf
- Take a piece of lotus leaf. Place a piece of each ingredient about 2-3 inches from the edge of the broad side of the leaf. Top up with 1 portion of the steamed glutinous rice. Fold the leaf to cover the rice and wrap up like a parcel. Tuck in the end to seal well.
- Place parcel on a steaming tray. Do the same for the rest of the ingredients.
- Steam LMK over boiling water on high heat for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The LMK rice is soft, QQ and taste is just nice. The meat and mushrooms have the fragrant smell and flavours of spring onions and ginger.