I baked these Spicy Tuna Mayo Buns using sweet bun basic dough recipe [sponge dough method - refer HERE]. These buns are light, fluffy and soft.Ingredients for the buns-Sponge Dough Method
[makes 10 buns]
Step 1 - Ingredients
Step 1 - Ingredients
2 tsp instant yeast
160-170 ml water
230 gm bread flour
- Mix yeast with water in mixing bowl, then add in flour. Knead to form a smooth dough.
- Cover and leave to proof for 1-1 1/2 hours or double in size.
Step 2 - Ingredients
60 gm sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 small egg [20 gm]
25 ml water
100 gm bread flour
30 gm butter
- Add all Step 2 ingredients [except butter] to dough from Step 1. Knead from low speed until well combined. Continue to knead on medium speed until dough is soft and smooth [takes about 7-10 minutes]. Add in butter, continue to knead until dough is soft and elastic or window pane stage [Notes - if not baking buns immediately, the dough can be kept in plastic bag tied up and refrigerate. Thaw to room temperature before using. Advisable to keep up to 48 hours only].
- Shape dough into a ball. Cover and leave to proof for 15 minutes.
- Punch down and divide dough in 60 gm per portion or into any portions preferred.
- Shape dough into round balls. Roll out each ball and fill it 1 tbsp of the tuna mayo filling. Gather the edges together and seal up the seam to shape into a round bun or shape it into an oval shape. Place bun on greased paper casing on a baking tray.
- Leave to rise for 30-45 minutes or until double in size. Brush with egg/milk glaze. Sprinkle with sesame seeds [Notes - make a few slits on top of bun before baking if filling has mayonnaise otherwise the buns may burst with filling].
- Baked in preheated oven at 190 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove to cool on rack.
[Spicy Tuna with Mayonnaise]
1 can spicy chilli tuna flakes in oil - drain away all the oil and small chilli
1 big onion - chopped small pieces
3 tbsp mayonaise
- Fry tuna flakes and onions together until onions are soft and mixture is slightly dry.
- Remove from pan to cool before adding mayonnaise. Combine well, filling is ready for use or refrigerate until required.
Filling is enough for 10 buns.